Why Jews don’t dare criticize Israel

Why don’t Jews speak openly and critically about Israeli policy, as the Gaza conflict rages on? Thinly veiled anti-Semitism.

Chaiwat Subprasom/Reuters

Chaiwat Subprasom/Reuters

A few weeks ago, before Hamas began launching rockets indiscriminately at Israel’s major cities and Israel bombed the Gaza Strip, killing 182 people, I saw something in a north Toronto camping store that made my stomach turn. This particular store caters predominantly to the Jewish neighbourhood nearby, where many residents send their kids to Jewish sleepover camps in the summer that have (like the one I used to attend) a Zionist history or bent. I was browsing the centre aisle in the store—packed with wooly socks, Crocs, etc.—when I came across a table piled high with T-shirts and I saw, sitting neatly right beside stacks of Batman and Superman shirts, a pile of forest-green tees bearing the bright yellow logo of the Israel Defense Forces. I don’t know if the arrangement was intentional, but its message was clear: What’s the difference between Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne and the IDF? Nothing. This was not my first brush with IDF “fashion”; the T-shirts are actually a staple in many diaspora Jewish kids’ closets. When I was in the ninth grade in the early 2000s, and Israel and Lebanon were in the midst of a gruesome war, I arrived at school one morning to see my best friend wearing a child-sized T-shirt with the IDF logo on it, short enough to reveal her midriff and belly-button piercing. “You probably shouldn’t be wearing that when there’s a war going on,” I said. “Whatever,” she responded. “It’s a cute T-shirt.”

It was a cute T-shirt. But militaries are not fashion fodder, nor are they the stuff of superhero movies. They are necessary evils. I am pro-Zionist, but this kind of Zionist triumphalism on the part of some diaspora Jews, and general ambivalence to suffering overseas, has long troubled me. When I saw the IDF-superhero arrangement in the camping store, I contemplated tweeting a photo of the display, with an irreverent, disapproving caption (#Jewishdiasporafail, maybe.) I took a picture of the T-shirts and was about to hit “share” when a nagging voice entered my head: “Are you sure you want to do this?” it asked. “You may not like what you see.”

This is the voice I suspect many Jews hear when they feel conflicted about the way in which their people or state behaves and would like to say so publicly, but also suspect that their criticism will backfire and provoke not change or understanding, but anti-Semitism. And, generally, I hate to admit it, the voice is right. I didn’t tweet the photo.

Since the violence began in Israel and Gaza this month, my Facebook page has been littered with both pro- and anti-Israel sentiments. The loudest voices are undoubtedly the ugliest: militant Zionists removed from the reality of Palestinian suffering who wear IDF T-shirts as if they are Toronto Maple Leafs jerseys. And militant Palestinians who decry the civilian death toll in Gaza but refuse to denounce Hamas’s rocket attacks, which, were it not for Israel’s Iron Dome technology—let’s face it, something out of a Harry Potter movie—would kill countless civilians.

This past Saturday, I saw the hashtag #HitlerWasRight begin to trend on Twitter. Some notable contributions: “HitlerWasRight Jews ARE scum”; “Hitler was such a good man to kill the Jews #Hitlerdidnothingwrong”; “This is not a war, this is genocide #FreeGaza #HitlerWasRight.” I also saw some of my most progressive friends and acquaintances—the kind of people who use “check your privilege” regularly in casual conversation—tweet and post inspirational quotes and petitions from activist forums whose discussion groups include comments about “greedy, manipulative Zionists” and “Zionist Nazis.” In Paris recently, pro-Hamas rioters stormed two synagogues after a pro-Palestinian rally. Think about that for a second: Their target was not the Israeli embassy; it was not the American embassy; it was a forum where Jews happened to be worshipping. (And people wonder why so many Jews conflate anti-Israel sentiment with bigotry).

Jews may hesitate to speak openly and critically about Israeli policy, not because of pressure from lobby groups and stern-faced, Holocaust-survivor grandparents, but because of anti-Semitism. I am not some tin-foil-hat Zionist who sees prejudice everywhere she looks. Nor do I believe that all criticism of Israel is anti-Semitic, or “delegitimizing”—a term used so frequently by university-campus Zionists, it has become meaningless. But, since the violence began this month, I have tried, in good conscience, to find pro-Palestinian voices and groups who do not ignore anti-Semitism when it rears its head around them, and I have failed. It says a great deal about the mainstream, anti-Israel movement known as BDS (Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions) that one of its highest-profile left-wing Jews, American academic Norman Finkelstein, defected because organizers refused to acknowledge that Israel has a right to exist. (If you’re too radical for Norman Finkelstein, you’ve got a problem.)

The only way progressive Jews like me will begin to speak critically about Israel beyond our Friday-night dinner tables is if we can count on non-Jews to back us up when someone links Zionism to Nazism, or starts talking ever so casually about “those greedy capitalist puppet masters.” Point me toward an activist group as equally committed to dispelling anti-Semitism as it is to the rights of Palestinians and I’m on board. So far, however, all I have seen is thinly veiled prejudice, and otherwise progressive liberals ignoring it.




Browse

Why Jews don’t dare criticize Israel

  1. Emma,

    One of the reasons many Jews or others’ don’t feel the need to criticize Israeli policies is quite simple. Israel is completetly justified in what they are doing.

    As you hint in your article, you begin to see that often the term, “Progessive” is linked with anti-semitism. This can’t be denied. It isn’t right-wingers, or conservatives that call for boycotts of Israeli goods, or Jewish academics; it is lefties, and left leaning liberals.

    Not too long ago, Libby Davies of the NDP declared that the country of israel was illigitemate, and that it was founded on Palestininan land. (No such thing as a Palestinian by the way….they’re Egyptians and Jordanians). You also have Meghan leslie (not surprisingly, of the NDP again) active in the Boycott and divestment movement.

    Justin Trudeaus brother, has made a career of making anti-Israeli documentaries….and he is one of Justin’s closest advisors. Do you not think that perhaps, Justin shares the same anti-Israeli views as his sibling?

    The only person, and Party that actively supports Israel’s right to exist is Stephen harper and his Conservatives. Sure, you have a few liberal MP’s that pay lip service to the right of Israel to exist, but they won’t have much say when you consider their leader’s views, or those of his advisors.

    Trudeau has spent more time in mosques than any time spent with the Jewish community. He knows where the votes are. There are far more muslims in Canada than jews…and Trudeau is well aware of the potential votes to be garnered here.

    Harper is also aware of the math…….but he doesn’t care. He understands what israel is facing, and he understands that Israel is not the party at fault here.

    If palestinians want to stop seeing their family members killed, then perhaps they should stop supporting terrorists, and terror activities.

    Israel’s problem is not that they use too much force, it is that they don’t use ENOUGH force. If they want the problem to stop, then they have to bring down the hammer. The next time HAMAS orders civilians to act as human shields, Israel should just drop a bomb right in the middle of them. Won’t be long before the “volunteers” change their mind and find somewhere else to be.

    If terrorists want a fight….we should give it to them. No mercy, no compassion, and no hesitation.

    the odd thing being of course, is that HAMAS knows that Israel is more civilized than they are. They know the Israeli’s don’t want to hurt innocents needlessly, and they take advantage of this. We should take that advantage away from them.

    If a rocket launcher is on the roof of a hospital…bomb it to dust; worry about consequences later, as they know they will be condemned in any event. If you are going to be condemed for defending yourself, then earn it.

    • I ‘m sorry but this really makes me feel sick, and I will explain why.

      You say: One of the reasons many Jews or others’ don’t feel the need to criticize Israeli policies is quite simple. Israel is completetly justified in what they are doing.

      Israel is completely justified in what they are doing and they are civilized. It’s justified to ethnically cleanse a capital city by removing all citizens and place others there? It is justified to bomb mosques in Gaza and doing the same horrible things as hamas? Ok, well in comparison with Western Europe and the United States they are indeed civilized, as civilized is the same as destroying other cultures, all civilized cultures have done that. I hate hamas, but unfortunately I also hate, not Israeli citizens, but I do hate the way the Israeli gouvernment acts because a lot of innocent people, both Israelis and Palestinian Arabs are affected negatively by the gouvernment.
      There was also a protest against what happens in Gaza in my country where people (muslims) started to shout anti-semitic things at a certain moment and shouted to kill the jews, this is disgusting and I really don’t understand how you can’t realize that there are also jews which are against this policy of Israel, this only shows how stupid these people are.

      Maybe making it impossible for people in Gaza also encourages people to get thoughts to want to terminate Israel, how do you think a young Palestinian kid thinks when he says that the Israeli army is killing women and children in Gaza? This is completely wrong, it is AGAINST the 10 commandments, it is NO judaism, it is simply just immoral behaviour which is motivated by an ideology and every wrong ideology can be recognized by one trait: Everything what it does is good.
      The fact that you support this ideology because
      I don’t say that Israel doesn’t have a right to exist, in contrary, I think that if jewish people feel a certain relationship with this land they should have the right to visit it, but not at the expense of the Arab population in the area, as they are people too, just as Israeli jews are people.

      • Sorry, I forgot to finish a phrase.

        The fact that you support this ideology because of what you say also makes me think that you can’t think right. Why do you think those civilizans support terrorists? Maybe because no one else is helping them? And what do these terrorists do? They misuse the civilizans and use them for their own goals, not to help them but just to take advantage of them. The whole problem is that there were Palestinians living in Israel before 1948, before it’s foundation, this is what the whole problem is about. Why can’t they return to where they lived? Why did other people take their homes? I don’t understand why they also use houses where Palestinians used to live to let immigrants live and why weren’t those Palestinians allowed to stay living in their houses and build new houses for jewish immigrants? Why couldn’t they live together instead of sending all Palestinians away?

        I think that terrorist organizations are wrong, but if you expell people from their land I can understand where the anger comes from. The only way to solve this is if both sides understand their mistakes and please don’t claim that Israel can’t be blamed for anything because you encourage Israeli jewish kids to be killed by that, as that will only make the other side more angry and you aren’t facing the fact that history isn’t simple and you can’t just blame one side.

        • The phrase you forgot to finish:

          “The fact that you support this ideology because of what you say also makes me think that you can’t think right”

          On the contrary, “thinking right” is just a matter of looking at what is going on. HAMAS lobs missiles in the hopes of killing Israeli’s…and Israel responds. It is the Palestinians who aren’t thinking right. If they don’t want to die….then tell them to quite attacking a stronger nation.

          More:
          “And what do these terrorists do? They misuse the civilizans and use them for their own goals”

          You failed to mention that these terrorists were elected. REAP meet SOW. If you don’t want to die, then don’t elected an islamist death cult to govern you. The palestinians got the death all right, but it isn’t the deaths they were looking for.

          You continue:
          “The whole problem is that there were Palestinians living in Israel before 1948, before it’s foundation, this is what the whole problem is about. Why can’t they return to where they lived? ”

          And Jews have been living their longer than anyone else, including the “palestinians” (who aren’t a real nation in any event. Gazans are Egyptians, and West Bank is Jordanians). Jews have lived their since time immemorial.

          You ask:
          “Why couldn’t they live together instead of sending all Palestinians away?”

          They did live all together peacefully at one time….but then the Palestinians decided they wanted to get rid of all the Jews, and starting killing them. I think that is a perfect reason to send them all away.

          You go on:
          “I think that terrorist organizations are wrong, but if you expell people from their land I can understand where the anger comes from.”

          That’s it? You think terrorist organizations are wrong? No GOTO……adding 3 + 3 and getting 7 is wrong. Terrorist organizations are evil and need to be destroyed. No mercy, no compassion, and no stopping until they are utterly annihalated. I don’t care about WHY they do it, or what they hope to accomplish.
          As for expelling people from “their” land…..sorry. It was the land of Jews, long before the Palestinians invented themselves as a people. You seem to be forgetting the history of Israel, and how they have been attacked repeatedly by arabs in surrounding nations. If the arabs lose a war or battle….they just re-group, re-arm, and have the UN condemn Israel for their overwhelming response to the attacks.

          If israel ever loses a war…….they are ended. Do you really doubt that if the shoe was on the other foot, that the arabs / Islamicists would not stop until every single jew was slaughtered? Because GOTO..that is the reality. Jews do what they need to do to protect their people and country. Arabs / Islamicists, if capable, would kill every man, woman, and child without hesitation. Israel knows this, the UN knows this, and every arab nation knows this. Of course, israel is the only group that actually cares that this is the case.

          Anti-semitism under the guise of fairness is till just hatred.

          You say that I cannot blame just one side. You are wrong. I do blame one side…because that is the side that is to blame. I just hope Israel doesn’t lose its nerve. I want them to keep going until every tunnel is destroyed, every missile and rocket is bombed, and every HAMAS member has been killed. I don’t give a damn what the UN says, or what John Kerry says, or what any arab nations says.

          Go Israel……take care of business.

          • “And Jews have been living their longer than anyone else, including the “palestinians” (who aren’t a real nation in any event. Gazans are Egyptians, and West Bank is Jordanians). Jews have lived their since time immemorial. ”
            ” It was the land of Jews, long before the Palestinians invented themselves as a people. ”

            James just keeps repeating the same lies. Possibly he can’t comprehend the science described at the link below.

            And stacks more on top: “They did live all together peacefully at one time….but then the Palestinians decided they wanted to get rid of all the Jews, and starting killing them. ”
            Of course Deir Yassin, for starters, puts the lie to that. But James would rather live in a world of his own imagining than the real one.

            But I wonder, if James lived in a country in which enough of his neighbours voted for a party considered to be terrorists, if he’d feel his wife and children were “reaping what they sowed” when they were slaughtered?

          • And you keep referring to my comments as lies, when in fact you know they are not.

            I know you can’t really refute anything I am writing, but at least try a different line.

            Lenny…enlighten us.

            Who lived in the land of Israel after they took out the Caanites?
            How long have they been living there?

            As for my living in a country to which you refer…..and reaping and sowing.

            Straw man.

            I don’t live in a country like that; though I’m sure that under Stephen harper, you feel as though you are.

            Keep the tinfoil on tight lenny…..your crazy is leaking out again.

          • Wow.
            I’m not sure how it can be simplified any more for you, James.
            PALESTINIANS AND JEWS HAVE BOTH BEEN THERE SINCE THE STONE AGE, AT WHICH POINT THEY WERE ESSENTIALLY THE SAME PEOPLE.

            I think we can safely add straw man fallacy to the list of terms James uses without understanding.

      • GOTO:

        You asked:
        “It’s justified to ethnically cleanse a capital city by removing all citizens and place others there?”

        The only ethnic cleansing Israel is guilty of, is removing all of its own citizens from GAZA in 2006. GAZA was Jew free…the problem of course, is that HAMAS wants to make the entire middle east Jew free. In that vein, they have been lobbing thousands of rockets into Israel. Of course Israel will respond.

        You go on:
        “It is justified to bomb mosques in Gaza and doing the same horrible things as hamas?”

        If the mosques in question are being used to house rocket launchers, weapons, and terrorist using them as a snipers nest…then yes, by all means; flatten them.

        The rest of your screed can be heard at any Canadian campus, but at least you tried to couch your comments in fairness by criticizing both israeli and Hamas Policy equally, but you didn’t mentioned one thing.

        Israel did not start this; Hamas did. If Hamas wants to end palestinian deaths, then they should stop trying to create israel deaths.

        As for the relationship with Jews and the land….well, given that they have lived there for thousands of years before there even was a relgion of Islam…it is very generous of you to say they are allowed to visit it once in a while. HOw do you feel about the rights of the thousands of Jews who were forced out of arab lands? I don’t hear anyone calling for the “right of return” to Jews from Iraq, Egypt, etc..etc….

  2. There is no equivalency to be made between Israel defending itself and those who would exterminate it.

    That said, the notion of a “progressive zionist” is profoundly ridiculous. Progressives believe in diversity, and in unchecked immigration. But if you’re a zionist, you also believe that Israel is a jewish state and limited immigration for Israel.

    Why dont “progressive zionists” like Emma want the “benefits of diversity” to flow to Israel as well? I mean, if diversity and immigration are so fantastic, surely you would want it for Israel too right?

    Or is it that “jewish culture” is worth preserving but other kinds of cultures are not?

  3. Speaking as a pro-Israel Jew – but feel free to call me a”militant Zionist” – I have to say that this author is being just a bit disingenuous in her arguments (and quite a bit sanctimonious, to boot).

    As this author well knows, there is no shortage of Jewish critics of Israel. The rule of thumb goes like this: the more leftward – or “progressive” – a Jew leans politically, the more likely they are to loudly, assertively, and yes, quite publicly, criticize and blame the State of Israel.

    Basically, the author has set up a series of straw man arguments, stitched together with some of the very same anti-Semitic canards that she claims to disparage. For instance, there is the very transparent attempt to defame large sections of the Jewish community as being “triumphalist” in their pro-Israel support (which she repeatedly characterizes as “Zionist”, a term that most Jews have not used among themselves since Zionism fully achieved its aims in 1948).

    Speaking as a typical member of the pro-Israel community, I can say that we are all extremely concerned about Palestinian civilian casualties, and that, ideally, we would all love for the IDF to achieve its goals of deterrence without any collateral damage whatsoever. And when we see the IDF going out of its way – often putting its own soldiers and citizens at risk – to restrain its operations, in order to be effective with as little collateral damage as possible, we do indeed feel an element of “triumphalism” over Israel’s ethical sensibilities.

    Contrary to the impression given by this author, we desperately hope the Palestinian population will come through this unscathed. Beyond the obvious moral considerations, we also understand the dynamics of this conflict: The enemies of Israel desperately await an operational foul-up resulting in civilian deaths, which they can then use as a tool to term Israel – and its “militant Zionist” supporters – as genocidal. We understand that they use this accusation as a means to ensure that Israel cannot act effectively to achieve its operational goals – to protect its citizenry by acting to preempt all acts of aggression against it.

    But apparently, the writer of this article is not interested in offering such clarifications. Rather, she has given readers the impression that she is special, more enlightened than the rest of us “militant Zionists” – a “progressive” Jew who is able to rise above the parochial triumphalisms of her tribal brethren, who are otherwise too cowed by anti-Semites and their own community to speak out against the State of Israel.

    But as she well knows, there is no dearth of “progressive” Jewish voices stumbling over one another to self-righteously condemn the rest of us who choose a more nuanced view of Israel’s strategically difficult situation.

    So what sets us apart? The “militant Zionists” among us understand that Israel constantly balances the need to effectively defend itself with the need to respect human rights, which is the essence of customary international law. When we see the State of Israel struggling to maintain that balance – in the face of tremendous global efforts to destabilize the Jewish State – we do indeed feel pride and “triumphalism” in such efforts.

    The “progressives” among us, on the other hand, feel a need to defame the rest of us, to falsely characterize our motivations and beliefs, so as to morally raise themselves above us – to, in effective, engage in their own religious act of triumphalism, which I would characterize as self-righteous, self-interested moral sanctimony.

    Because, after all, “progressives” like Ms. Teitel won’t be able to fully demonstrate how much more enlightened they are over the rest of the Jewish community unless and until they demonstrate to the nations how comparatively unenlightened the rest of their fellow Jews are. So, is that anti-Semitic? No, I’d say it’s more a case of…ethnic opportunism.

    • well said. progressivism is all about signaling sanctimony.

  4. It is part of Israeli strategy to make even the slightest criticism of Israel [a country] classed as anti-Semitic [a religion].

    At the rate we are going Israel will soon be able to bomb Paris, and everyone will be so afraid of that label, they won’t say a word!

    The original fault lies with the newly minted UN anxious to solve problems and make amends. After WWII they handed land to the Zionists…..land that was already occupied by other people. Naturally the other people…. Palestinians …objected.

    So we’ve come down to the Jews leaving again, or genocide of the Palestinians…..or a one-state solution which will mean a huge internal squabble for years.

      • A bag of prejudicial nonsense isn’t an argument. This is what happens when you base your world view on a book of religious fairy tales. Don’t bother me again.

        • Which book of religious fairy tales are you talking about?

          Im just correcting the obvious falsehoods in your post about a) nobody criticizing Israel and b) that the UN gave Israel land.

          Both are clearly and obviously false to anybody with a modicum of education on this issue. You should be thanking me for correcting you.

          “Don’t bother me again.”

          BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!! If that is your reaction to somebody who corrects your glaring mistakes, it’s no surprise that you managed to include two errors in your short post.

          • I believe I told you not to bother me again. I don’t listen to fools. Ciao.

          • “I believe I told you not to bother me again.”

            I believe I dont care what you told me. Besides, you are free to ignore my comments. It is not I who is bothering you, it is you who is bothering yourself by reading my comments. My advice to you is to exercise a bit of self-restraint, ignore my comments, and dont expect other people to obey you.

            It is however instructive, and I will allow myself to highlight it, that you are incapable of discussing any substantive point relating to the two obvious falsehoods in your original post, namely that nobody criticizes Israel, and that Israel was granted land by the United Nations. My further advice to you is to refrain from commenting on topics that you are entirely ignorant about.

          • You aren’t discussing anything….you simply attacked me out of the blue…and I’m not interested in trying to educate some high school intellectual.

            Ciao means good-bye in Italian.

            Make it so

          • this is a public forum, you dont get to tell others what to do.

            your comments about nobody criticizing Israel and the U.N. giving land to Israel are laughably false. concede that point and I’ll let you have the last word.

          • You’re still lying….so you’re still banned.

            Bon soir.

          • So what land did the UN give Israel?

            Oh what’s that? You’re going to avoid the topic because you have no idea what you’re talking about and just post falsehoods – geez, how typical.

          • Still lying eh, Average?

            You should meet James Halifax. You two are the Beavis and Butthead of this board.

            PS Did you know Jews were also offered Uganda and part of Australia and….

          • Im asking you a question. How could I possibly be lying when asking a question?

            So I’ll try again, what land did the UN give Israel?

          • Mr. Average, your historical knowledge is below average, as is your reading comprehension.

            Re your point (b): “The British concluded that they could no longer manage Palestine and handed the issue over to the United Nations. On November 29, 1947, after much debate and discussion, the UN recommended the partition of Palestine into two states ­ one Jewish and one Arab. The Jews accepted the UN resolution while the Arabs rejected it.” That’s straight from the website of the Anti Defamation League here: http://archive.adl.org/israel/record/creation.html If that’s not ceding territory to the Jews, I don’t know what is.

            Re your point (a): Nowhere does Emily say that no one criticizes Israel. She was clearly commenting on the conflation of criticism of the state of Israel and anti-semitism being used as a strategy by the Israeli government. That argument may be debatable, but it’s not the one you pretended to debate.

          • Average Ape…..

            Anyone who’s been reading these macleans sites for a while….knows full well Emily’s views on Israel, or Jews.

            No one takes her seriously, but she is good for comic relief. Her ignorance about most subjects is well known.

          • Vajrasattva1

            Thanks for responding to my points with substance, even if you happen to be incorrect.

            The UN never gave land to Israel. The UN proposed a partition of land which was never implemented, because as you noted, the Arabs refused. That’s a very different thing from the UN giving land to Israel.

            Israel unilaterally declared itself sovereign and independent. They bought land, pre WW2, got into a war with muslims, won, and declared sovereignty. The UN never did anything for Israel to hold on to this land. Israel declared sovereignty unilaterally and enforced their sovereignty unilaterally. They never needed anything from the UN, nor did they get anything from the UN.

            Ask yourself how history would have unfolded without the UN? Pretty much exactly the same.

          • Fascinating.
            Can you tell me what Israel paid for Deir Yassin?
            “Bought” is usually considered to involve a mutual agreement between two parties and the exchange of money.
            One party slaughtering the other and taking what’s theirs is a slightly unconventional use of the word.

    • As usual, emily remains confused.

      She wrote:
      “The original fault lies with the newly minted UN anxious to solve problems and make amends. After WWII they handed land to the Zionists…..land that was already occupied by other people. Naturally the other people…. Palestinians …objected. ”

      Emily, the land was not “handed” to the Jews……the jews were already there, and had been there for thousands of years. There was no such thing as a Palestinian…they were Jordanians and Egyptians.

      That land has been home to the Jews long before it was anyone else’s. That is the part you always fail to grasp.

        • I never said there were never any non-Jewish people in the region, I just pointed out that Jews have been there longer than anyone else. (Sorry about that whole Caanite thingy…but …)

          Prior to the invention of Islam, the Jews and Christians were well established. In fact, most of Egypt, Iraq, and other regions were predominantly Christian. It is only when the Muslim hoardes brought murder and mayhem that the religion changed.

          Come to think of it………pretty much sums up the situation we have today. Whereever Muslim’s go…..chaos and murder follow.

          • “, I just pointed out that Jews have been there longer than anyone else.”

            What part of “same ancestors” don’t you understand?

          • Lenny,

            The “other” ancestors to the Jews, were not Muslim. In fact….they weren’t really anything. Islam didn’t come about until much later.

            The Jews….we there long before anyone else. They had some bastard kids with them, but hey, fill your boots.

          • “The Jews….we there long before anyone else.”
            ” They had some bastard kids with them”

            Ah, no.
            You really can’t comprehend what you read, can you?
            JEWS AND PALESTINIANS ARE VIRTUALLY THE SAME PEOPLE WHO’S ANCESTORS HAVE BEEN HAVE BEEN THERE SINCE THE STONE AGE, LONG BEFORE THERE WAS RELIGION OR “BASTARDS”.
            Does that help?

          • Lenny, if you go back far enough….we ALL come from the same ancestors.

            The difference between the Israeli’s and the arabs of course, is this:

            Israeli’s evolved into a modern, democratic society that values life, happiness, and modernity.

            their arab cousins….have remained a barbaric society which hasn’t evolved culturally since the 7th century AD. True, they have modern gadgets…….but without a shift in the culture, they are just cavemen with guns.

            Oh…and many of the “gadgets” they enjoy……were invented by their cousins.

          • You can’t possibly be this stupid.
            Let’s set your racism aside and try and help you understand.

            PALESTINIANS HAVE BEEN THERE THE WHOLE TIME.
            They have been there since their neolithic ancestors lived there.
            They didn’t show up after the Jews.
            They’re not people from somewhere else who just invented the word “Palestine”.

  5. “Point me toward an activist group as equally committed to dispelling anti-Semitism as it is to the rights of Palestinians and I’m on board.”

    That’s the problem. That cuts both ways. You couldn’t find a Pro-Isreali board or Zionist that didn’t have at least some comments that basically blamed the Palestinians for everything either, and I assure you they’re not censored. A major newspaper contained a opinion article that stated that Hamas was happy to see their children killed. Could you imagine a Canadian reporter/writer saying that about the IDF and keeping their job? You see, I don’t need to go to boards and forums committed to an Zionist ideology to see Palestinian prejudice. Several mainstream papers are happy with that perspective in Canada, and our government is winking in that direction as well.

    Also, frankly, if you don’t want people conflating Jews with Israel, it might not make sense to write an article that basically posits the position that no Jews speak out against Israel, all for the same reason. If that really is true, that no Jewish voices will speak out publicly against Israel, then how can you expect people to not conflate pro-Jews or Zionism with Israeli-extremist positions? We don’t get to sit around your dinner table to see the “real” debate. It seems you are like the Israeli’s and the Palestinians themselves. Each blaming the other for the greater sin, and neither willing to take the first step towards a more meaningful dialog.

    • KJGHLGH HGKJH

      wrote: “A major newspaper contained a opinion article that stated that Hamas was happy to see their children killed. Could you imagine a Canadian reporter/writer saying that about the IDF and keeping their job?”

      If you wrote it about the IDF the reporter should be fired, because it is not the case when it comes to the IDF.

      Hamas on the other hand…..DO LIKE TO SEE PALESTINIAN kids killed. That is a FACT. People are finally starting to catch on to what Hamas stands for.

      Remember, HAMAS’ sole reason for being is the destruction of Israel, and all the Jews who live there. Everyone killed in this current conflict to date, has died as the result of Hamas’ action.

      Israel to date, has shown great restraint, but if the terrorists hide missiles in schools, or by apartment complexe’s, sorry….they’ll be taken out.

      If the palestinian parents cared about their palestinian children as much as Israeli soldiers cared about palestinian children….we wouldn’t be seeing this today.

      As has been said, before, “We will have peace with the Palestinians, when they love their own children more than they hate ours”

      • You should remind people that your definition of “FACT” is “things I can provide little evidence for, let alone prove”.

        • Lenny,

          You have never met a fact for which you have paid any attention.

          to you, a fact is any information that adheres to your own skewered ideology.

          I could explain the “fact” that 2+2= 4….and you would say that this is not a FACT, because I didn’t show a decimal point.

          • “Facts” as they are known to conventional English speakers are things are proven.
            “Assertions” is the word you want – things you claim without providing a shred of evidence to support.

          • What good is evidence to someone like you, Lenny?

            As mentioned, you don’t listen to anything that may contradict your own blinkered double-thinking mind. You wouldn’t know a “fact” if it popped up and hit your tinfoil.

            come to think of it….that would be fun to watch.

            FACT hits Lenny’s brain that he can’t comprehend……and he ends up looking like a pack Jiffy pop on a burner.

          • “What good is evidence to someone like you, Lenny? ”

            You mean, aside from contradicting everything you post?

            Like the Palestinians who were cleansed from Deir Yassin among other places despite your unsubstantiated assertions to the contrary?

            Like the genetic science that shows that Palestinians have every bit the same ancestral claims to their lands as Jews despite your unsubstantiated assertions to the contrary?

            Like the Israeli woman who has orgasms when Palestinian children are killed, or the Israeli mobs singing about killing Palestinian children, despite your unsubstantiated assertions to the contrary?

            Yes James, the reason you provide zero evidence to support your assertions, ignore evidence that contradicts your assertions, and accuse people of being antisemitic when you’re hopelessly unable to to defend yourself is because OTHER people aren’t interested in evidence.
            Good one, James!

  6. Well you’ve made a giant vicious circle for yourself this way. You don’t want to knock ‘your own side’….which is understandable….but if you don’t, you’re assumed to be okay with the idea everytime Palestinian kids are killed.

    • Emily,

      There was a video shown a few days ago which proved that Hamas does indeed like their children killed. Showed one man with a group of children (looked like he was forcing them to stay put) near a rocket launcher, and another man at the launcher setting one of the missiles off. Like all good terrorists, as soon as the weapon was relased, he high-tailed it out of there.

      the point being of course, the intention was not to launch the rocket and hope to kill jews, (that would have been a bonus to the Hamas folks), the intention was to have Israel respond and destroy the launcher, along with the children. HAMAS would then record the outcome, and idiots like you would condemn Israel for defending itself.

      As was recently stated, “Israel tries to protect its people by destroying these missiles, while the Palestinians use children to protect their missiles”…or something to that effect.

      • Yeah, ‘something to that effect’….

        Actually it’s a ‘blood libel’ James.

        Stop talking smack.

        • “Stop talking smack”

          Sorry, Emily….but when you try to be “hip” you are just showing how out of touch you are with reality.

        • Lenny,

          If you want to see the difference between Jews and Palestinians, just watch the programming they have for their children.

          Jewish people, celebrate life…………..

          Palestinians celebrate death…………….

          Every time a Palestinian child is killed in the fighting, israel mourns………….every time a Jewish child is killed, Palestinians celebrate and hand out candy.

          • Lenny,

            The mosque Library called……apparently you have not returned their copy of “The Protocols of the Elders of Zion”….

            better hurry up before they fine you. You don’t really need it any more in any event……..you an Emily can just exchange notes.

          • Yes, James. When evidence contradicts your fact-free assertions, simply yelling “antisemitism” will surely win the day.

          • If it walks like a duck….talks like a duck…..

            it’s a lenny.

  7. I am afraid that Ms Teitel has it backwards when she suggests that her criticism of Israel “will backfire and provoke not change or understanding, but anti-Semitism.” On the contrary, the failure to criticize can be viewed as tacit approval. That wouldn’t ordinarily be a problem, but the government of Israel and many of its supporters have drilled into the public consciousness the idea that Israel acts on behalf of all of the Jews in the world (in large part by equating legitimate criticisms of Israel with antisemitism, but also by insisting that Israel be recognized as the Jewish state). Thus the triumphs and troubles of Israel supposedly belong to the entire diaspora. A corollary of this notion, of course, is that responsibility for the sins of Israel also belongs to all Jewish people.

    If I were Jewish I would have a big problem with the Israeli government’s claim to be always acting on my behalf, and I suspect that this is partly what motivates (along with basic human decency) vehement critics of Israel such as Chomsky, Finkelstein, Richard Falk, Ilan Pappe, Uri Avnery, and Gideon Levy, as well as organizations such as B’Tselem and Jewish Voices for Peace.

    Popular myths notwithstanding (“a land with no people for a people with no land”, “the previous inhabitants left voluntarily”, “the 1967 war was one of Israeli self-defense”…), Palestinians also have a legitimate claim to the land, and overall their treatment by Israel over the past six decades has been grossly unfair. While there are violent extremists on both sides, Jewish “price tag” attackers are seldom held to account, while the actions of Palestinian extremists are used as an excuse to collectively punish an entire population.

    Antisemitism has existed for centuries, however the current troubles in Israel stem not from antisemitism, but rather from oppression. While it is obviously unfair to blame all Jews for the actions of the Israeli government, the latter’s brutal treatment of Palestinians is almost certainly the main contributing factor to the current rise in antisemitism. The tacit or vocal approval (e.g., AIPAC) of Israel’s punitive and racist “defense” tactics only encourages more of the same. Disavowal and denunciation of such activities by Jews worldwide, and their strong encouragement for a truly fair settlement, just might persuade the government of Israel to change its reprehensible behaviour. That in turn would stem the rising tide of antisemitism. By withholding her criticism of Israel, the author has arguably made things worse.

    • This nails it. Very well said, better than I could ever do. Not surprised there are no replies. Normal, knee-jerk responders who cling to catch phrases and ideology have no ability to even begin to attack such a well reasoned response.

    • Peter C….

      Israel does not need to raise a hand to invoke anti-semitism. It is surrounded by countries filled with people who would gladly see the end of Israel and Jews. In fact, it is in the Hamas charter.

      The goal of these Muslim fanatics, is NOT to create anti-semitism. it is to destroy all the Jews. And as we have seen on many occassions, jews do not need to live in israel proper to become a target.

      The anti-semites are just today’s useful idiots.

      • It seems, James, either that you are being willfully obtuse or else that you have trouble thinking objectively. Nobody is claiming that antisemitism did not already exist prior to the Nakba and its sequelae. The question is whether Israel’s behaviour increases antisemitism.

        Please consider the following:

        There are well over a billion Muslims on the planet, the vast majority of whom are good and law-abiding people but a small minority of whom commit violent acts for political and/or religious reasons. This has resulted in widespread bigotry against Muslims in general, which is not fair but it is understandable. It helps the situation somewhat when regular Muslims voice their disapproval of what the extremists are doing. Of course, irrational, ignorant xenophobes will still want to blame the entire group regardless. If you doubt that, try reading the comments sections of relevant articles published the Jerusalem Post, the Toronto Sun, and the National Post, to which such individuals tend to gravitate.

        Now, try to understand how the cruel and violent treatment of, and duplicity towards Palestinians by the Israeli government might cause people to feel resentful toward its constituents. The constant claims of moral superiority and victimhood by Zionists don’t help matters, either, especially when stories, videos and photos of their Palestinian victims emerge.

        Finally, I am puzzled by claims by you and your ilk of being able to read minds. If you believe that it is wrong (and potentially punishable) to dislike and wish harm on others, I would be interested to know your thoughts about racist Israeli politicians such as Knesset member Ayelet Shaked, who recently advocated the killing of Palestinian civilians. And what about the voters who put such individuals into positions of power? Are they any better than the Gazans who elected Hamas?

        • Peter C wrote:
          “There are well over a billion Muslims on the planet, the vast majority of whom are good and law-abiding people but a small minority of whom commit violent acts for political and/or religious reasons.”

          the minority of which you speak, numbers in the hundreds of thousands, so you cannot blame anyone for being leery of Muslim intentions. In fact, just turn on the news, and you can see what the “religion of peace” brings to the world, wherever it becomes prevelant.

          Ask yourselt this. If you had to live under the government of a middle eastern country, which would it be? Saudi Arabia? Pakistan? Iraq, Syria?

          I’d surmise that anyone who values freedom and rights would pick Israel over the others’.

          As for the photo’s of Palestinian victims…sorry. They are more victims of Hamas and Islam than they are victims of Jews or Israel. You write of moral superiority by “zionists” but apparently you don’t believe they are morally superior. They are. Far more moral than their enemies, who relish the deaths of innocents, whereas the Israeli’s do what they can to minimize such tragedies. Palestinians are only victims of their own actions. If they don’t want to die….then give up the goal of destroying Israel. not going to happen.

          As for reading minds….nope. Never claimed that ability. But I can see.

          Palestinian kids killed in Hamas crated conflict, Israeli’s mourn. palestinian kids injured in the conflict, they are treated by Israeli doctors.

          Jewish kids killed in conflict….palestinians dance in the streets and hand out candy. Jewish kids injured in conflict…..palestinians mourn that their rockets or terrorists were not more successful.

          As for jewish politicians…….sorry, not one to follow them on an individual basis. Glad to see you are though.

          YOu ask abou the kind of people who elected a lone israeli politician………….but the Palestinians elected an entire GOVERNMENT, with a charter that calls for the destruction of Jews and Israel.

          REAP meet SOW.

          There is no comparison, or moral equivalence between Jewish and Palestinian culture. Jewish culture is far superior, far more moral, and far more ethical than any other culture in the region. Everyone who lives there knows it………and that is what they despise most.

          As for jewish actions causing anti-semitism….you do have a point. In fact, the action of just being alive is the main driver of anti-semitism in many of these countries just mentioned.

          • OK James. I can see that nothing I say will convince you, and thus I concede to you the following points:

            -When Muslims are violent it’s because they’re Muslim, but when Jews are violent it’s because Muslims made them do it.

            -It’s OK for Israelis to kill civilians because they obviously don’t have any other choice.

            -Endangering people but not killing them is a greater crime than killing people but claiming that you did not not want to.

            -What looks a lot like six decades of collective punishment and ethnic cleansing of Palestinians is in fact just a very long series of legitimate Israeli acts of self-defense.

            -Jewish culture really is far superior, far more more moral, and far more ethical than Palestinian culture. If I were Palestinian, I’d totally resent being morally and ethically inferior, but I wouldn’t be bothered by the fact that I had been forced off of my land, had my house destroyed, been arrested and detained without cause, been attacked by “settlers”, had my movements greatly restricted, or gone hungry, thirsty, jobless, or without proper medical treatment due to the actions of my benevolent masters.

            -Politicians who espouse ethnic cleansing are very bad, unless they’re Jewish, in which case we should ignore it.

            -It’s bad for anybody to celebrate the misfortune of another person, unless of course you are an Israeli who sits on a hilltop overlooking Gaza and cheers whenever the IDF blows up a building there.

            -Restrained and fair treatment of Palestinians by the government of Israel will do nothing to limit antisemitism, so there is no point in them trying and no point in Jewish people objecting to their behaviour.

            Happy now?

          • peter C:

            I’ll help you out a bit, as you are still confused. You wrote:

            “When Muslims are violent it’s because they’re Muslim, but when Jews are violent it’s because Muslims made them do it. ”

            You are not trying to be accurate with this comment; but in effect, you are. Look around the world today, and ask where most of the violence is occurring, and what is causing it? You could mention Russia and the Ukraine, but that is simply a land-grab. Where muslim’s go, it is jihadist ideology. The current state of GAZA can be laid soley at the feet of HAMAS. That terrorist group attacked israel, and israel responded. (Not harshly enough in my opinion..but there you go)

            you continue:

            “It’s OK for Israelis to kill civilians because they obviously don’t have any other choice.”

            Again, you aren’t trying to be accurate, but you are. The deaths of innocent people are regrettable, but they are not preventable in the case of what we are seeing today in GAZA. If you attack a country with missiles, the country being attacked has not only the right to take them out, but they have a DUTY to take them out. Hamas does not regret the deaths of anyone, whereas Israel mourns all of these deaths.

            More from you:
            “Endangering people but not killing them is a greater crime than killing people but claiming that you did not not want to.”

            Again, you write something that is true, but without realizing it. Morally, Hamas stooped to the levels of barbarism as they place their weapons knowing that the Israeli response will likely kill Palestinians. In fact, HAMAS wants dead Palestinians…especially kids. It makes for a better news night if they can make Israel look bad. HAMAS depends on morally immature Westerners (such as yourself) who cannot see the difference, but who only look at the body count. If you had a neighbour and he started taking pot shots at your family while you were all watching TV, what would you do? If you were only armed with a rocket launcher, would you fire it at the guy who started shooting at your kids? What if he was shooting from his living room, surrounded by his own kids and wife? would that stop you from defending your family. You see, pete…..it’s easy to cast stones when you are not the one being shot at. And it is easy to feel morally superior when you don’t have to make the difficult decisions.

            You go on:
            “What looks a lot like six decades of collective punishment and ethnic cleansing of Palestinians is in fact just a very long series of legitimate Israeli acts of self-defense. ”

            In the decades you describe, how many times have Arabs or Muslim’s attacked Israel? Has Israel ever acted out in agreesion first without reason? If you think what is going on is ethnic cleansing….then you don’t know what the term means. Ask a Jew…..they know all about what the real thing looks like, and in fact, are still dealing with the reality that they are surrounded by people who want to finish the job. But by all means, Pete…..just sit safely in Canada atop your moral superiority bandwagon and feel good about yourself.

            More idiocy from Petey: (broken down further)
            “Jewish culture really is far superior, far more more moral, and far more ethical than Palestinian culture.”

            Ok, Pete…are you saying this isn’t true? What do Jews value, and what have the accomplished. Consider Jewish history…and what they had to endure, and how they have managed to not just survive, but to thrive. Now what to Palestinians value? Apparently, they value dead Jews, and any action to accomplish that goal. Israeli’s teach their kids about education, and have a TON of Nobel Prize winners. Palestinians teach their kids about hatred and death, and they value a good suicide bomber in the family.

            Petey goes on:

            ” If I were Palestinian, I’d totally resent being morally and ethically inferior, but I wouldn’t be bothered by the fact that I had been forced off of my land, had my house destroyed, been arrested and detained without cause, been attacked by “settlers”, had my movements greatly restricted, or gone hungry, thirsty, jobless, or without proper medical treatment due to the actions of my benevolent masters.”

            If they resented being morally inferior, then perhaps they should do something about it. In the Western version of Sesame street, they teach reading, and math, and how to get along. In the Palestinian Version, they teach martyrdom and killing jews. if that isnt’ morally inferior in your eyes…then get thee to an Optometrist forthwith.

            Further, you seem concerned about “palestinian land” being stolen, but this is just plain wrong. Jews were there before any Muslims, and have been for thousands of years. In fact, if anyone had land stolen, it would be the Jews who were forced out of the surrounding arab nations. I don’t hear you lamenting jewish losses.
            If Palestinians do not want to be detained, then perhaps they should talk to their fellow compatriats and remind them that whenever a Palestinian martyrs himself (or herself) in Jewish pizza parlours, or markets, the vicitms of such attacks may become leery of your intentions. They may want to have a look at you if you are wearing a heavy jacket when it is 33 degrees centigrade. If palestinians don’t want their houses blown up, then perhaps they shouldn’t store weapons beside them, or inside them. Perhaps they should tell their son Muhammed, and his other two brothers; also named muhammed, that attacking Jews and running back into the house isn’t conducive to maintaining the equity in the family home. You are being facetious calling the Jews “benevolent masters” but again, you are closer to the truth than you realize. Imagine the reaction of any other country who was subjected to unwarranted attacks on a regular basis. How do you think Putin would react? Oh yeah…we’ve seen that. He killed everyone, and flattened everything. Guess what….it worked. Israel on the other hand, has satisfied itself with simply containment.

            More from Pete:
            “Politicians who espouse ethnic cleansing are very bad, unless they’re Jewish, in which case we should ignore it.”

            petey, the only Governmental folks espousing ethnic cleansing are the democratically elected Hamas officials in Gaza. Who elected them? Read meet sow. You get what you pay for…or in this case, you get the government you elected. You elect terrorists who engage in terrorism…..you should not then beg for international help when the vicitms of terrorism fight back. Especially if they are better at it than you are.

            More from Pete, The Enlightened One:
            “It’s bad for anybody to celebrate the misfortune of another person, unless of course you are an Israeli who sits on a hilltop overlooking Gaza and cheers whenever the IDF blows up a building there.”

            But it is ok to celebrate your military taking out the guys who have been launching rockets into your cities to target your wives and children. when the IDF blows up a building, they are usually also blowing up a rocket battery, and those who fire them. What did you think of the Americans, Canadians, or others’ who celebrated whenever our military took out a German division? Didn’t think of it that was did you? (or you did, but didn’t want to mention it as it would hurt your premise)

            Finally:
            “Restrained and fair treatment of Palestinians by the government of Israel will do nothing to limit antisemitism, so there is no point in them trying and no point in Jewish people objecting to their behaviour.

            Happy now?”

            Petey, how much restraint needs to be shown when the folks you are dealing with are launching rockets into your cities, or kidnapping and executing your children? What part of this don’t you understand? Why is it so hard to grasp?
            I suspect, that if the Palestinians want to be shown more respect, then they need to first admit that Israel is a real country (sorry Libby..it is a real country) and that it is a Jewish state. The palistinians need to stop the violence, if they want the retaliatioin to stop.

            am I happy now?

            Yeah, I am……..what about you?

          • It’s truly incredible that you can continue to repeat the same evidence-free assertions over and over again even when presented with contradictory evidence.
            It’s pathological.

          • And it’s curious lenny, that you revert to the same predictable line each time you respond to my comments.

            reades of this site please note: Lenny has never provided a response that extends beyond, “nya nya”.

            but then again, that’s pretty much all he has.

          • Folks,
            One possibility is that James is spoofing us – taking an extremely belligerent tone and spewing unsubstantiated, pro-Zionist nonsense while refusing to acknowledge any evidence to the contrary, all in an effort to make supporters of Israel look foolish. It’s not exactly an approach that I would approve of, but I’ll have to admit that it is quite effective.

  8. As an anti Zionist Jew [ i deplore all forms of ethnic nationalism ] I find this all to common stance of my brethren, to be incredibly an entitled and privileged notion.

    So, we can only speak out against murder of our fellow human beings, when no one is mistaking us for being the Jews the state of Israel claims to represent? We can only stand for peace or protect others, when we are above reproach and never critiqued? When we never know hate?

    Israel does not represent me. It’s actions are not my actions.

    I would love it if every human who sees themselves as comrades to the “others” the state of israel dehumanizes and murders–supposedly in my name–didn’t mistake it for the actions of all Jewry.

    Indeed I suspect that most don’t, but like most fall into the habit of speaking in the moment, out of anger and pejoratively when they are offended by monsterous acts.

    That will only get worse the longer Israel maintains inhumane policies towards the palestinian people, and by our silence, the rest of Jewry condone it.

    The second worst thing that ever happened to the Jewish people is the neo-theocratic Zionist state of Israel, claiming to represent all of us, and making us appear to be culpable for Its crimes against humanity.

  9. I’m going to just ignore the nonsense in some of the other comments and remark that it’s a bit odd to read this article and its author apparently not even bothering to look for a group but still claiming none exists.

    Theses days, a quick Google search makes this pretty easy. But I guess if she had looked and found something, it would have been hard to imply everyone out there tolerates anti-semitism and, well, it would have be harder to make sweeping statements meant to smear an entire movement or whatever.

    But if the author or any of the paranoid commenters equating BDS to anti-semitism had bothered, they would have been able to find what they say doesn’t exist. Just to name a few:

    Independent Jewish Voices Canada
    Palestinian & Jewish Unity
    Jewish Voice For Peace

    The question now is, what is the author going to do about it? Will she find a group where she feel safe to criticize Israel or will she find new excuses?

    • Odd thing being of course,

      If she were to visit the region, Israel would be the only country where a gay woman would not lose her life.

  10. Very well done, Emma:
    You hit the proverbial nail on the head, and I for one am glad this social truth has come out.
    When birds-of-a-feather still flock together, and place morality at the bottom of their care list, then something should be said to call them ALL out, for what they truly ARE.
    …nuff said.

  11. Nice try, but I don’t buy the endless victimhood spiel from these so called “progressive Zionists” which, by the way is an oxymoron. An ideology which uses the verses of the Bible from 2000 years ago to murder and oppress an entire people and deny them basic rights is not just incompatible with progressivism but antithetical to it.

    If Jewish people support Israel’s execrable crimes against the Palestinians, they will have only themselves to blame if they end up at the receiving end of hostility and they will obtain scant sympathy from the rest of us.

  12. Norman Finkelstein, despite his recent criticism of the Boycott Divestment Sanction ( BDS ) movement, is still very much on the circuit for Palestinian rights.

    Also, I see this article shows no mention, let alone sympathy for the 500 + Palestinians, mostly civilians, murdered in cold blood by Israel.

    The ethos of Zionism alternates between a perpetual sense of victimhood and a sociopathic sense of contempt for the rights and lives of non Jews ( goyim ) Both ends of the spectrum are characterized by an inability to feel compassion for anyone not Jewish.

    • Sasboy…….

      How well worn is your copy of Mein Kampf anyway?

      Bet you keep it in the bathroom……..right beside the Jergens.

    • Sasboy wrote:

      “Both ends of the spectrum are characterized by an inability to feel compassion for anyone not Jewish”

      Sasboy……the Jews mourn dead Palestinian children more than the palestinians do.

  13. I enjoyed your article though not being Jewish, I cant even profess to understand the personal turmoil a situation like this causes among Jews. I do take exception to your referring to all military as “necessary evils”. War may be a “necessary evil” but after having served many years in Canada’s military I don’t ever recall doing evil. We may have prepared for the “necessary evil” but we also helped stranded communities in winter storms and spring floods……neither of which was considered evil. We went to devastated countries to rebuild and provide food and water…….which is not evil. We stopped drugs from getting to our coasts and saved ships from pirates and rescued downed aircraft passengers…….none of which I consider evil. Please be more careful with your words…..Canada’s military has saved more lives than it has taken……you owe Canada’s military men/women and their families an apology……..unless of course you do think that any of what I have just mentioned is evil.

Sign in to comment.