The five authors shortlisted for this year’s Charles Taylor Prize are:
- Carol Bishop-Gwyn for The Pursuit of Perfection: A Life of Celia Franca (read our review)
- Tim Cook for Warlords: Borden, Mackenzie King, and Canada’s World Wars
- Sandra Djwa for Journey with No Maps: A Life of P.K. Page
- Ross King for Leonardo and The Last Supper (read our review)
- Andrew Preston for Sword of Spirit, Shield of Faith: Religion in American War and Diplomacy (read our review)
The winner, who will take home $25,000 for penning a work of Canadian nonfiction that ”best combines a superb command of the English language, an elegance of style, and a subtlety of thought and perception,” will be announced on Mar. 4, 2013.
Andrew Westoll won the prize last year for The Chimps of Fauna Sanctuary: A Canadian Story of Resilience and Recovery.