0

Jian Ghomeshi withdraws lawsuit against CBC

CBC spokesman Chuck Thompson says ‘the civil suit has been dismissed with costs in favour of CBC.’


 
Workers scrape a wall which had a publicity photo of former CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi in the broadcasting corporation's Toronto offices on Monday October 27, 2014. (Chris Young, The Canadian Press)

Workers scrape a wall which had a publicity photo of former CBC radio host Jian Ghomeshi in the broadcasting corporation’s Toronto offices on Monday October 27, 2014. (Chris Young, The Canadian Press)

TORONTO — The CBC says its lawyers have reached an agreement with former radio host Jian Ghomeshi and he has withdrawn his $55-million lawsuit against the public broadcaster.

CBC spokesman Chuck Thompson says “the civil suit has been dismissed with costs in favour of CBC.”

He says Ghomeshi is expected to pay $18,000 in legal costs to the CBC.

In his lawsuit, the former “Q” radio host alleged defamation and breach of confidence.

Related reading: Jian Ghomeshi — how he got away with it

The agreement reached between lawyers for the CBC and Ghomeshi still needs to be formalized through a court _ a step Thompson says is expected in the near future.

Ghomeshi was fired by the public broadcaster last month amid allegations of “abusive behaviour” from numerous women.

Police are investigating complaints by at least three of them.

Ghomeshi has denied the allegations, arguing in a Facebook posting that he engaged in “rough sex” with women, but insisting it was always consensual.

Related:
The other problem with ‘Q’
Editorial: A national conversation about sexual assault has begun. Finally.
Is it any wonder we don’t report?
#YouCantShutMeUp: Feminism goes viral
‘Q’ executive producer on leave amid Ghomeshi scandal


 
Filed under:

Sign in to comment.