TORONTO — Steven Sabados won’t be returning to the CBC-TV show “Steven and Chris.”
His husband and co-host Chris Hyndman died earlier this month at age 49.
“Some of the best times in my life have been at the CBC — creating an incredible show with Christopher by my side and a fantastic team behind the scenes,” Sabados wrote in a statement posted on the show’s Facebook page on Friday.
“That being said, it’s impossible for me to even imagine continuing the show without him. The CBC understands and supports my decision 100 per cent and I hope you can as well.”
CBC spokesman Chuck Thompson confirmed the news.
“After thoughtful consideration and given very difficult circumstances, Steven has decided not to go forward with the show; we wholeheartedly respect and support him with this decision,” Thompson said in an emailed statement.
“Over the coming months, we will be exploring new options for our daytime schedule and when we have more to say about what that might look like, we’ll share those details.”
Hyndman’s cause of death has not been revealed, but police said there was no criminal investigation. The CBC reported Hyndman was found in an alleyway outside the Toronto residence he shared with Sabados.
In the Facebook message, Sabados thanked those who’ve “reached out and offered love, support, and words of encouragement over these past few weeks.”
“As you can imagine, this has been an incredibly difficult time and I truly appreciate the compassion you’ve so generously offered,” he wrote.
“To all of you who shared our fabulous journey over the last eight years, as Christopher would say, ‘Thank you, thank you, thank you.”’