0

Fire started at UBC, students evacuated

By 11:30am building deemed safe and exams continued on schedule


 

Students had to be evacuated from a University of British Columbia building Tuesday morning after a fire broke out on the roof. The fire was accidentally started by a worker using an acetylene torch. Although the flames were confined to the roof of the Henry Angus Building, smoke billowed below where students were writing exams. The fire alarm had been disabled to avoid it going off unnecessarily due to the nature of the work. Students were evacuated at 10am through “manual building monitoring,” that the university says is an “accepted practice.” By 11:30am, students were permitted to reenter the building and exams continued on schedule.


 
Filed under:

Sign in to comment.