President Barack Obama took the oath of office Sunday in an intimate White House ceremony, with first lady Michelle Obama and daughters Sasha and Malia at his side. Other guests who bore witness to Obama’s swearing-in:
- Maya Soetoro-Ng, President Obama’s sister, along with her husband, Konrad, and daughters Savita and Suhaila
- Marian Robinson, Mrs. Obama’s mother
- Craig Robinson, Mrs. Obama’s brother, along with his son, Avery, and daughter, Leslie
- Auma Obama, President Obama’s sister, along with her daughter, Akinyi Manners
- Eleanor Kaye Wilson, godmother to Sasha and Malia Obama, along with her husband, Wellington Wilson
- Jane Roberts, wife of Chief Justice John Roberts
The White House pool reporter in the room noted that after the oath, Obama and his family kidded around — remarks that came through on the broadcast mic:
Obama to Michelle: “Thank you, sweetie” after she congratulates him.
To Malia, he said: “Hey!”
Malia appears to say “I’m so happy, yay!”
Sasha to Obama: “Good job, dad.”
“I did it,” he said.
“You didn’t mess up,” she replied.