A man who says he was the victim of a carjacking by the Boston Marathon bombing suspects has shared his harrowing tale with The Boston Globe in his first interview.
A 26-year-old Chinese entrepreneur who asked to be called “Danny” tells the Globe that he pulled over in his new Mercedes SUV to answer a text message at about 11 p.m. on Thursday, April 18, when a man knocked on the window. When Danny rolled down the window, the man was brandishing a handgun.
Earlier that the day, authorities released photos of two suspects wanted in the bombing that killed three people and injured more than 250 others near the finish line of the famous race.
The man with the gun got into the SUV and admitted to the Boston bombings and to killing a police officer just hours earlier, recalls Danny. He would later be identified as Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, who was killed during an altercation with police hours later.
Danny tells the Globe that he recalls thinking: “Death is so close to me” and “I don’t want to die. I have a lot of dreams that haven’t come true yet.”
Danny recalls driving around the Boston suburbs for 90 minutes, at one point stopping to let the second suspect into the SUV, before he was able to make a run for it when they had to stop for gas.
The release of the interview comes as the surviving suspect, who was arrested Friday, April 19, has been transferred from a public hospital to a prison hospital. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, was transferred from Beth Israel Hospital in Boston to Fort Devens, Mass., U.S. Marshals Service confirmed Friday morning.
On Thursday, police said the suspects were planning a second attack in New York City’s Times Square. They planned to use pressure-cooker bombs similar to the ones used near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, as well as pipe bombs, police allege.