TORONTO – Public health officials in Toronto say they believe the cronut burger was responsible for up to 150 illnesses at the Canadian National Exhibition.
Dr. David McKeown says tests done on food samples taken from Epic Burger and Waffles, which is known for the cronut burger, tested positive for a bacteria known to cause gastrointestinal illness.
McKeown says Toronto Public Health has now heard from more than 150 people reporting possible food poisoning after eating at the fair between Aug. 16 and 20.
McKeown says they have talked to about 100 of those people and the cronut burger was the common factor in all cases.
General manager David Bednar says the CNE is now confident that the outbreak is over.