Adam Lanza has been identified as the gunman responsible for the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown on Friday.
In a briefing on Sunday afternoon, Connecticut police said Lanza still had hundreds of rounds with him when he killed himself as responders approached.
The governor of Connecticut, Dan Malloy, told an ABC morning show that Lanza committed suicide as authorities closed in. ”We surmise that it was during the second classroom episode that he heard responders coming and apparently at that, decided to take his own life,” Malloy said.
Connecticut police cautioned that it will take weeks to complete the investigation.
“I am confident we will put every single resource into this investigation,” Lt. Paul Vance told reporters. “Our goal is to answer every single question.”
Vance used one of his Sunday briefings to warn against erroneous details about the case circulating on social media networks.
“Misinformation is being posted on social media sites,” he said. “Prosecution will take place when people who are perpetrating this information are identified.”
Other developments in the story:
- In a statement released Saturday evening, the gunman’s father said he is heartbroken. “Our hearts go out to the families and friends who lost loved ones and to all those who were injured,” Peter Lanza said. “We are in a state of disbelief and trying to find whatever answers we can. We too are asking why. We have co-operated fully with law enforcement and will continue to do so. Like so many of you, we are saddened, but struggling to make sense of what has transpired.”
- Vance said most of the victims were killed by a Bushmaster AR-15 “assault-type weapon.”
- Police say Lanza used a handgun to kill himself.
- A shotgun was found in the vehicle that Lanza took to Sandy Hook Elementary School.
- Speaking on NBC’s “Meet the Press” Senator Dianne Feinstein said she plans to introduce an assault-weapons ban on the first day that Congress is back.
- The New York Times reports that Nancy Lanza cherished her gun collection and had taken her sons to shooting ranges. Lanza shot his mother Friday morning before making his way to the elementary school.
- U.S. President Barack Obama has just landed in Connecticut where he is to attend an interfaith service in Newtown later this evening.
- Father of six-year-old victim extends prayers and support to shooter’s family
- Jaime Weinman: Left unsaid on a day of dull shock
- Emma Teitel: Gun control at last?
- Photos: The latest from outside Sandy Hook Elementary School
- Reporter tweets from scene of Connecticut shooting
- The latest thinking: pundits on Americans and gun control
Sunday, December 16, 2012