Gov’t spends millions to stop litigation - Macleans.ca
 

Gov’t spends millions to stop litigation

New Brunswickers harmed by Agent Orange are having their lawsuit stalled


 

The federal government is undergoing a class action lawsuit from veterans, their families and residents of the area around C.F.B. Gagetown in New Brunswick who have had their health affected by Agent Orange, a chemical herbicide sprayed on the base from 1956 to 1984. So far, it’s spent $7.8 million on the lawsuit and Tony Merchant, the lawyer in charge of the case, says the government is doing all it can to stall the process in the hope that victims, many of whom have Hodgkin’s disease, lymphoma, respiratory and prostate cancer and type 2 diabetes—diseases associated with Agent Orange exposure—will give up. “Victims should be infuriated that the government spends money, not on helping them or compensating them, but instead fighting even having the issue go to court,” he said. The government is spending the cash despite a promise from Prime Minister Stephen Harper that he would fight for full compensation for the victims. For his part, veterans affairs minister jean-Pierre Blackburn says he didn’t know about the cost of the suit and that he’ll now launch an investigation into the spending.

CBC News


 
Filed under:

Gov’t spends millions to stop litigation

  1. Part 1 of 2
    We are infuriated that the government has spent nearly $8 million to prolong the Class Action lawsuit and Tony Merchant is correct in that the government hopes we will go away. Well, WE ARE NOT GOING AWAY! The $8 million would have been better spent in helping the victims of the "chemical spraying" of Agent Orange, Purple (3 times as deadly) & White at CFB Gagetown between 1956 & 1984.

    On another IMPORTANT note Ex-Gratia which ended April 1, 2010 has been extended. It was announced June 11th that it has been extended to September 17, 2010.

    Carol Brown Parker Co-President
    Agent Orange Association of Canada Inc.

  2. Part 2 of 2

    On another IMPORTANT note Ex-Gratia which ended April 1, 2010 has been extended. It was announced June 11th that it has been extended to September 17, 2010.

    To apply for the "Compensation" please call the governments phone # 1-866-522-2122. The government also wants you to enclose a note stating why you did not apply before the April 1, 2010 deadline. The answer would probably be that you did not know as is the case now. That is why the Agent Orange Association of Canada Inc. is trying to get the word out to the victims.

    Although the media have done a good job reporting the news of the $8 million dollars spent to fighting the victims. We would ask and hope that the media would inform the Public accross Canada of the extension of Ex-Gratia for the victims requiring immediate help!

    This information is being shared on our website http://www.agentorangecanada.com

    Carol Brown Parker Co-President
    Agent Orange Association of Canada Inc.