Grandmother charged in death of Ontario toddler left alone in hot car


MILTON, Ont. – Police have laid criminal charges against the grandmother of an Ontario toddler who died last week after being left alone in a sweltering car.

Leslie McDonald, 51, has been charged with criminal negligence causing death and failing to provide the necessities of life in the death of her grandson, Maximus Huyskens.

Max died on June 26, a month before his second birthday.

He was laid to rest Wednesday in an emotional service that drew family, friends and even some strangers.

Rev. Peter Tuyen Nguyen, who led the funeral mass, called the toddler’s death a “freak accident” and called on those gathered to support Max’s parents and his two older siblings.

Police have said the boy died after “being exposed to high-level temperatures for an extended period of time” in a sedan outside a Milton, Ont., home.

Investigators have said the child was in the care of his maternal grandmother while his father was at work and his mother was at an appointment.

McDonald is scheduled to appear in court Aug. 14.

Meanwhile, police in Edmonton have ruled no crime took place in the death of a little girl found inside a car during a heat wave this week.

Police say the three-year-old girl was not left in the car by a caregiver on Tuesday evening, but didn’t provide any further detail about how she got there.

Officers did note that vehicle she was found in was not locked.

Filed under:

Grandmother charged in death of Ontario toddler left alone in hot car

  1. That’s no freak-accident: that’s STUPIDITY!!!! It was total negligence and I would never trust that grandparent with my dog! For the reverend to publicly absolve her of such a criminal act, well that’s stupidity too.

  2. This needs to go to court so we can learn what this woman did, and how it came to be that she “forgot” him in the vehicle. Unfortunately, some grandparents do not wish well for their grandchildren, and some go the extra step to harm their grandchildren. It may be significant that he was one month away from his second birthday. Did this trigger something in his grandmother? Were drugs and alcohol involved? Does she have a past record of abusing children?