By exposing children with peanut allergies to the nut over a six-month period, UK researchers claim to have effectively cured them of the allergy. This marks the first time a food allergy has been desensitized this way, although the procedure has been successful with wasp and bee stings, and pollen allergies. A team from Cambridge University exposed four children to peanuts, starting with 5 mg of peanut flour each day and eventually upping the dose to 800 mg, the equivalent of five peanuts. A long-term follow-up is needed to confirm the results. “It’s not a permanent cure, but as long as they go on taking a daily dose they should maintain their tolerance,” Dr Andy Clark, who led the research.