The Queen has been admitted to King Edward VII hospital in central London after experiencing symptoms of gastroenteritis.
The 86-year-old monarch, who is expected to remain in hospital for two days while her condition is assessed, “was last in hospital 10 years ago, when she was admitted to the King Edward VII for surgery to remove a torn cartilage from her right knee and lesions from her face,” reports the Guardian. “She was driven to the hospital in Marylebone by private car from Windsor Castle, where she had been resting.”
“As a precaution, all official engagements for this week will regrettably be either postponed or cancelled,” said a spokesman for the Queen. This includes a two-day trip to Rome with the Duke of Edinburgh that had been planned for Wednesday.
He also noted that the Queen said she was in good spirits and was otherwise in good health besides the symptoms of gastroenteritis.
“This is a precautionary measure. She was not taken into hospital immediately after feeling the symptoms. This is simply to enable doctors to better assess her.”