0

69 families still displaced after explosion in Mississauga, Ont.

Police still investigating whether the incident was criminal


 
Firefighters and emergency personal work at the scene after a home explosion happened in Mississauga, Ont., on Tuesday, June 28, 2016. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

Firefighters and emergency personal work at the scene after a home explosion happened in Mississauga, Ont., on Tuesday, June 28, 2016. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

Firefighters say 69 families are still unable to return home after an explosion in Mississauga, west of Toronto, that killed two people last week.

Fire Chief Tim Beckett says those include residents from 32 apartments in a nearby building and 37 other homes.

Tuesday’s explosion rained debris over the area and forced hundreds from their homes, though many have since been able to return.

Last week police identified two bodies found in the wreckage as Robert Nadler and Dianne Page, both 55 years old.

Page was found the day of the explosion. Police discovered Nadler’s remains on Thursday.

Relatives confirmed to the Toronto Star that Nadler was convicted in a murder case in 1982 and released to a halfway house a decade later.

Police said they are working to determine what triggered the blast and they are looking into the possibility that it was a criminal incident.


 
Filed under:

Sign in to comment.