Media vehicle, camera seized by New Brunswick shale gas protesters -

Media vehicle, camera seized by New Brunswick shale gas protesters


REXTON, N.B. – The news director for Global News in New Brunswick says a news vehicle and camera that were seized by five protesters in Rexton, N.B., Saturday have been returned.

Jim Haskins said journalist Laura Brown was at the site of an ongoing shale gas protest around noon when the protesters confronted another media outlet and seized a vehicle on Route 134.

Haskins said Brown got into her vehicle and locked the door, but was threatened by the protesters.

“They knocked on the window and demanded that she get out of the vehicle and leave it,” said Haskins. “At first she refused, but the situation she felt was unsafe and unstable so reluctantly she locked the vehicle, left and started walking away.

RCMP Const. Jullie Rogers-Marsh said police had taken statements from the media and was investigating.

Haskins, who is based in Halifax, said Brown was able to retrieve her vehicle and equipment just after 4 p.m. with the help of some First Nations people. He said no equipment was damaged.

CTV News reports that one of its news crews was also told by the protesters to leave behind their satellite truck and equipment while filming in a warehouse parking lot. Wendy Freeman, the president of CTV News, said in the email the network had no further immediate comment.

The network said the protesters approached the TV crew and asked them to leave before surrounding their vehicle.

The Assembly of First Nations’ Chiefs in New Brunswick issued a statement Saturday condemning the actions of the small group of protesters. It urged all protesters to rally peacefully without intimidation.

Rogers-Marsh said there was a blockade on Highway 11 in Rexton earlier Saturday, but it was cleared later in the day. She said Saturday evening that no roads in that area were being blocked.

The protest turned violent on Thursday, when six police vehicles including an unmarked van were burned and Molotov cocktails were tossed at police before they fired non-lethal beanbag type bullets and pepper spray to defuse the situation.

RCMP found improvised explosive devices that were modified to discharge shrapnel and used a fuse-ignition system. Officers also seized guns and knives after moving in to enforce a court-ordered injunction to remove protesters at the site of a compound in Rexton where SWN Resources stored exploration equipment.

Forty people were arrested for firearms offences, threats, intimidation, mischief and violating the injunction.

The protesters, some of whom were members of the Elsipogtog First Nation, were demonstrating for weeks against the development of a shale gas sector in the province.

Elsipogtog Chief Arren Sock, who was among those arrested, met with New Brunswick Premier David Alward on Friday and said they would meet again to discuss ways of preventing what happened Thursday.

The RCMP blocked Route 134 on Sept. 29 after a protest there began spilling onto the road. Protesters subsequently cut down trees that were placed across another part of the road, blocking the entrance to the compound.

The protesters want SWN Resources to stop seismic testing and leave the province.

SWN Resources issued a statement Friday saying it is in the early stages of exploration in New Brunswick.

Filed under:

Media vehicle, camera seized by New Brunswick shale gas protesters

  1. Cut off their welfare so they can kill the “idle” time with working for a living.

    As dependency breeds entitlement and belligerence. Time to force these people into a productive lifestyle.

    • Did you read the Rex Murphy editorial in the National Post stating that 85% of the FN protesters from that particular reserve are on welfare?

  2. Well, on the bright side had it happened in Ontario or Alberta, someone would have probably ended up shot.

    • That happened once in Ontario at Ipperwash, when a guy in a bus tried to run a police blockade. What result he expected I’m not sure, but if I were facing a blockade with police armed with shotguns, I’m pretty sure I could predict what would happen next.

      A decade later, during that disgusting occupation at Caledonia, the police cowered behind gutless platitudes and posturing the entire time. Only the residents were bullied. The natives were given a free ride. So no, it wouldn’t happen in Ontario today. The protesters would be allowed to do whatever they wanted, and the police would arrest only local residents who happened to get in the way of the protesters. At least the RCMP on the east coast are still doing their job. The OPP ceded that responsibility long ago.

  3. Funny, they take pains to mention that FN people helped her get her van back, but did not mention who seized it in the first place. No political correctness filter there.

  4. Masked, putting up blockades, burning police cars, stealing media equipment. Boy, if these guys weren’t First Nations, I bet they’d be called terrorists, not protestors.