0

Prince Edward Island evacuates schools after bomb threat

RCMP after 19,000 students ordered out of schools: ‘There’s been no threat found. Everybody is safe’


 

cp canadian press logo

CHARLOTTETOWN — More than 19,000 students were evacuated from Prince Edward Island schools after a bomb threat, RCMP said.

RCMP spokesman Sgt. Kevin Bailey said the threat came via fax Wednesday morning, and that schools were notified within 10 minutes.

“There’s been no threat found. Everybody is safe,” Bailey told reporters at a noon news conference.

He said the threat suggested bombs had been planted at several schools.

Staff took students at more than 60 English and French public schools to safe locations, where they were met by buses and parents.

“School emergency evacuation plans have been activated,” the RCMP said in a statement.

Bailey said police were looking at the possibility the fax is connected to threats against three schools in Nova Scotia. NSCC Marconi Campus, Cape Breton University and the NSCC technology campus in Halifax have also been evacuated due to potential threats.

In P.E.I., police said parents were asked to wait for further instructions to pick up their children once the facilities are cleared under their safe plan procedures.

The Island’s post-secondary institutions have shut as well.

“The University of Prince Edward Island is closing for the day effective immediately,” it said on Facebook this morning.

At Holland College in Charlottetown, one student said a woman burst into the classroom to tell everyone to pick up their books and evacuate immediately, and that school officials would advise if it’s safe to return tomorrow at a later time.

Outside, everyone was in a panic and helicopters were flying overhead, he said.

Parker Grimmer, director of public schools for the Island’s board, says police contacted the board this morning about “a threat that was of a significant nature” and asked for the evacuation of all schools.


 
Filed under:

Sign in to comment.