TORONTO – A defiant Toronto Mayor Rob Ford says he’s ready to defend himself as he faces a motion expected today at council demanding he take a leave of absence to deal with his admitted crack cocaine use and binge drinking.
When asked Tuesday by reporters how he can convince council he shouldn’t step aside, Ford said only that he’s saved the city more money than any other mayor.
When earlier asked of the pending council battle, Ford said merely “let’s get it on.”
If the non-binding motion doesn’t work, motion sponsor Coun. Denzil Minnan-Wong says he plans to ask council to petition the province to oust Ford.
Ford admitted last week he smoked crack cocaine a year ago while likely in a “drunken stupor” but has refused to resign or temporarily step aside to get help.
The mayor says he’s making progress dealing with his personal issues while still remaining in office, but when prompted Tuesday didn’t outline just what changes he’s made.
The 90-second cellphone alleged crack video at the heart of the ongoing scandal was brought by police to a Toronto courtroom Tuesday, where it was watched by a judge in his chambers.
Ontario Superior Court Judge Ian Nordheimer is considering an application for access to the video by a man seen posing with the mayor in a widely published photograph.
The police have actually seized two videos, as referred to by Police Chief Bill Blair in a recent news conference, but the Crown has said one is a subset of the other.