MILTON, Ont. – A funeral is to be held today for a toddler who died after being left alone in a sweltering car west of Toronto.
Police have said Maximus Huyskens died after “being exposed to high-level temperatures for an extended period of time” in a sedan outside a Milton, Ont., home last week.
Investigators say the two-year-old was in the care of his maternal grandmother, who is in her 50s, while his father was at work and his mother was at an appointment.
No charges have been laid and police say they’re still awaiting further toxicology test results.
The boys’ five-year-old sister was at school at the time of the incident and remains in the care of her parents.
Max’s parents have said their son “shared his magic with everyone he met.”
“He was a boy who loved to talk about birds in the sky and whales in the water. He was a boy who would always pick a flower for his parents whenever he saw one,” they wrote in an obituary notice.
“He was also a boy who took the time to say hello to everyone he encountered because he knew how important it was to put a smile on somebody’s face. No words can give justice to how gracious, generous and benevolent Max was.”