Philippine storm leaves 53 dead, thousands in shelters
 

Philippine storm leaves 53 dead, thousands in shelters

More than 200,000 people have been affected by the storm in the south and central Philippines


 

MANILA, Philippines – A tropical storm that pounded the central Philippines earlier this week has left at least 53 dead in landslides and flash floods, disaster officials said Wednesday.

The dead included a least 29 buried by landslides in the central island provinces of Samar and Leyte. Among them were 10 dead in Tanauan township, which was devastated by last year’s Typhoon Haiyan that claimed more than 7,300 lives, according to the Office of Civil Defence.

Most of the others drowned in raging floodwaters when the storm hit on Tuesday. At least eight are missing and more than 136,000 have fled their flooded communities to emergency shelters.

Forecasters said the storm Jangmi weakened into a tropical depression Wednesday and was expected to dissipate off the western island province of Palawan.

Presidential spokesman Herminio Coloma said President Benigno Aquino III ordered relief supplies and other assistance delivered to affected communities, many of whom were still reeling from last year’s deadly typhoon.

In all, more than 200,000 people have been affected by the storm in 14 central and southern Philippine provinces.


 
Filed under:

Comments are closed.