World Cup 2010 Schedule - Macleans.ca

World Cup 2010 Schedule

Over the next month, 32 teams from around the world will play a total of 64 matches in 10 venues across South Africa. Luckily, fans in Canada can watch each and every game. Don’t miss a minute of the action.

Siphiwe Sibeko / Reuters

GROUP A
South Africa (83) – Mexico (17) – Uruguay (16) – France (9)

GROUP B
Argentina (7) – Nigeria (21) – South Korea (47) – Greece (13)

GROUP C
England (8) – U.S.A. (14) – Algeria (30) – Slovenia (25)

GROUP DWorld Cup 2010 Special
Germany (6) – Australia (20) – Serbia (15) – Ghana (32)

GROUP E
Netherlands (4) – Denmark (36) – Japan (45) – Cameroon (19)

GROUP F
Italy (5) – Paraguay (31) – New Zealand (78) – Slovakia (34)

GROUP G
Brazil (1) – North Korea (105) – Ivory Coast (27) – Portugal (3)

GROUP H
Spain (2) – Switzerland (24) – Honduras (38) – Chile (18)

All games on CBC television and Rogers On Demand . All times are EDT.
DATE TIME MATCH
Friday, June 11 9:45 a.m. South Africa vs. Mexico
2:15 p.m. Uruguay vs. France
Saturday, June 12 7:15 a.m. South Korea vs. Greece
9:45 a.m. Argentina vs. Nigeria
2:15 p.m. England vs. U.S.A.
Sunday, June 13 7:15 a.m. Algeria vs. Slovenia
9:45 a.m. Spain vs. Switzerland
2:15 p.m. South Africa vs. Uruguay
Thursday, June 17 7:15 a.m. Argentina vs. South Korea
9:45 a.m. Greece vs. Nigeria
2:15 p.m. France vs. Mexico
Friday, June 18 7:15 a.m. Germany vs. Serbia
9:45 a.m. Slovenia vs. U.S.A.
2:15 p.m. England vs. Algeria
7:30 p.m. Denmark vs. Japan
Friday, June 25 9:45 a.m. Portugal vs. Brazil
12:00 p.m. North Korea vs. Ivory Coast
2:15 p.m. Chile vs. Spain
7:30 p.m. Switzerland vs. Honduras

MORE WORLD CUP
Top 10 players to watch (photos) | Top 5 World Cup commercials | Soccer’s biggest fakers (video) | + more

World Cup 2010 Special

Round of 16
Saturday, June 26 9:45 a.m. Match 49: Group A winner vs.
Group B runner-up
2:15 p.m. Match 50: Group C winner vs.
Group D runner-up
Sunday, June 27 9:45 a.m. Match 51: Group D winner vs.
Group C runner-up
2:15 p.m. Match 52: Group B winner vs.
Group A runner-up
Monday, June 28 9:45 a.m. Match 53: Group E winner vs.
Group F runner-up
2:15 p.m. Match 54: Group G winner vs.
Group H runner-up
Tuesday, June 29 9:45 a.m. Match 55: Group F winner vs.
Group E runner-up
2:15 p.m. Match 56: Group H winner vs.
Group G runner-up
Quarter-Finals
Friday, July 2 9:45 a.m. Match 57: Match 53 winner vs.
Match 54 winner
2:15 p.m. Match 58: Match 49 winner vs.
Match 50 winner
Saturday, July 3 9:45 a.m. Match 59: Match 52 winner vs.
Match 51 winner
2:15 p.m. Match 60: Match 55 winner vs.
Match 56 winner
Semifinals
Tuesday, July 6 2:15 p.m. Match 61: Match 58 winner vs.
Match 57 winner
Wednesday, July 7 2:15 p.m. Match 62: Match 59 winner vs.
Match 60 winner
3rd/4th Place
Saturday, July 10 2:15 p.m. Match 63: Match 61 runner-up vs.
Match 62 runner-up
Final
Sunday, July 11 2:15 p.m. Match 64: Match 61 winner vs.
Match 62 winne

MORE WORLD CUP
Top 10 players to watch (photos) | Ladies on the sidelines (photos) | Soccer’s biggest fakers (video) | + more

World Cup 2010 Schedule

1. Which countries use their own players?

The U.S team seems to be a Eurotrash team, not that any real Americans will be watching.

2. American soccer National team-wise is in better shape then ever.
    The coaching team did a nice job developing teamwork, confidence and competitive edge.
    It's nice to see some players from the Youth Team playing well alongside players like Donovan who is great by any standard.
    One more thing: Team-America has now built a tradition of having great goalkeepers.
    About Fred's "not that any real Americans will be watching" , well, it depends who it is that you consider "real Americans". Cultural communities are huge in America, so let's get the facts here:
    – members of the Italian community love soccer
    – The English, the Scots, the Irish, even the Aussies, they all love soccer
    – the Latin community loves soccer
    So , Fred, get yourself better informed (well, if you cared for commenting the article….) , grab a beer, watch Team USA World Cup matches and have some fun.

3. "Cultural communities are huge in America, so let's get the facts here:
    – members of the Italian community love soccer
    – The English, the Scots, the Irish, even the Aussies, they all love soccer
    – the Latin community loves soccer
    and I am just mentioning communities that have large numbers of people living in the USA. "

Thanks for proving my point they're hired guns not real Americans.
    Thats fine for professional sports but it is supposed to be an international tournament.

Aside from being racist and denying opportunity to its own people,
    as long as America or any country keeps its own people from developing in any sport, the longer that country will be third rate at the sport.

Real Italians play for Italy. Tier 2 players play for other countries.

The U.S mens' and womens' hockey teams are great teams because they use thier own people whereas Gemany is a joke at hockey and will never develope because they use Canadian coaches and players.

4. Ok, thanks for sharing your views.
    Some clarifying here. When I say English, Scots, Italians, latins, I am speaking of members of these cultural communities and that includes 2nd , 3rd, 4th generation Americans, many of whom are very proud of being American citizens and who will root for the American Team.

As for the American Soccer team denying opportunity to its own people, I am sorry but I don't see this. I think it was true in the past but not now.

About the American team being 3rd rate, well, perhaps you are a little misinformed because Team-USA got second place at the Confederations Cup in a tough final match against Brazil and after having eliminated Spain, European Champion and this World Cup big favorite.

5. It just doesn't get more American than this, I guess.
    Unless, off course, you are narrow minded.

From Wikapedia: U.S midfielder:Full name Benny Feilhaber
    Date of birth January 19, 1985 (1985-01-19) (age 25)
    Place of birth Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    Ok PCers, now in unison, twist this comment into an attack on Mr Feilhaber. Also remind us that he is a U.S citizen and therefore an American.
    Alan Black, a soccer enthusiast, writes this about Landon Donavan, who actual was born in the U.S.
    "Landon Donovan, the US soccer ace, has set fire to Mexican public opinion. He appears in a TV ad for a Mexican lottery dressed in..the large sombrero, the big mustache and the poncho. He attempts to sneak across the border, into Mexico, under the nose of a dozing Mexican border guard.
    Some folks in Mexico are offended…Donovan .urinated on a Mexican soccer field after a game between the countries"

Great guy, not narrow minded at all.
    Wonder when he will be doing commercials stateside?

I'm betting Mexico, despite its pathetic lack of Brazilian players, will go at least as far as the U.S in the tournament.

6. It just doesn't get more American than this, I guess.
    Unless, off course, you are narrow minded.
    From Wikapedia: U.S midfielder:Full name (witheld)
    Date of birth witheld
    Place of birth Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

(I'm sure he's a good player and a good guy but American (U.S)? Come on. Ok PCers, now in unison, twist this comment into an attack on Name witheld.

Alan Black writes this about Landon Donavan, who actual was born in the U.S. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    "Landon Donovan, the US soccer ace, has set fire to Mexican public opinion. He appears in a TV ad for a Mexican lottery dressed in the costume of hyper-Mexican stereotyping – the large sombrero, the big mustache and the poncho. He attempts to sneak across the border, into Mexico.. Some folks in Mexico are offended…Reportedly, he urinated on a Mexican soccer field after a game between the countries.."

Great guy, not narrow minded at all.
    Wonder when he will be doing commercials stateside?

7. It just doesn't get more American than this, I guess.
    Unless, off course, you are narrow minded.
    From Wikapedia: U.S midfielder:Full name (witheld)
    Date of birth witheld
    Place of birth Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Alan Black writes this about name witheld, who actual was born in the U.S. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    "name witheld, the US soccer ace, has set fire to Mexican public opinion. He appears in a TV ad for a Mexican lottery dressed in the costume of hyper-Mexican stereotyping – the large sombrero, the big mustache and the poncho. He attempts to sneak across the border, into Mexico.. Some folks in Mexico are offended…Reportedly, he urinated on a Mexican soccer field after a game between the countries.."

Great guy, not narrow minded at all.
    Wonder when he will be doing commercials stateside?

8. I would just like to say that perhaps your view of what a real American is is perhaps a little narrow. Is being born in the USA not enough to qualify as a real American?"

Where in my previous post have I stated what a real American is?

"Is being born in the USA not enough to qualify as a real American?"

Have I said anything to the contrary?

"About the American team being 3rd rate"

Where have i mentioned the American team being 3rd rate.

Perhaps you should learn to read first Mr Monroe before slandering others.

9. "I would just like to say that perhaps your view of what a real American is is perhaps a little narrow. Is being born in the USA not enough to qualify as a real American?"

"Is being born in the USA not enough to qualify as a real American?"

Have I said anything to the contrary?

"About the American team being 3rd rate"

Where have i mentioned the American team being 3rd rate.

Please don't slander others Mr Monroe

I thought England, Scotland, Italy were other countries but I guess the truth is not whats important

10. "I would just like to say that perhaps your view of what a real American is is perhaps a little narrow. Is being born in the USA not enough to qualify as a real American?"

"Is being born in the USA not enough to qualify as a real American?"

Have I said anything to the contrary?

"About the American team being 3rd rate"

Where have i mentioned the American team being 3rd rate.

Please don't slander others Mr Monroe

I thought England, Scotland, Italy were other countries but I guess its politically incorrect to assume the entire world is not American.

11. I would just like to say that perhaps your view of what a real American is is perhaps a little narrow. Is being born in the USA not enough to qualify as a real American?"

Where in my previous post have I stated what a real American is?

"Is being born in the USA not enough to qualify as a real American?"

Have I said anything to the contrary?

"About the American team being 3rd rate"

Where have I mentioned the American team being 3rd rate.

Perhaps you should learn to read first Mr Monroe before slandering others.

12. "I would just like to say that perhaps your view of what a real American is is perhaps a little narrow. Is being born in the USA not enough to qualify as a real American?"

Where in my previous post have I stated what a real american is?

"Is being born in the USA not enough to qualify as a real American?"

Have I said anything to the contrary?

"About the American team being 3rd rate"

Where have I mentioned the American team being 3rd rate.

Perhaps you should learn to read first Mr Monroe before slandering others.

13. would just like to say that perhaps your view of what a real American is is perhaps a little narrow. Is being born in the USA not enough to qualify as a real American?"

"Is being born in the USA not enough to qualify as a real American?"

Have I said anything to the contrary?

"About the American team being 3rd rate"

Where have i mentioned the American team being 3rd rate.

Please don't slander others Mr Monroe

14. "I would just like to say that perhaps your view of what a real American is is perhaps a little narrow. Is being born in the USA not enough to qualify as a real American? "

I HAVE MADE NO COMMENTS REGARDING THIS IN MY PREVIOUS
    POST

"About the American team being 3rd rate, well, perhaps you are a little misinformed"

ONCE AGAIN I MADE NO COMMENTS ABOUT THIS!

TO ASSIGN COMMENTS TO SOMEONE THAT THEY DID NOT MAKE IS SLANDER.

15. I would just like to say that perhaps your view of what a real American is is perhaps a little narrow. Is being born in the USA not enough to qualify as a real American? "

I HAVE MADE NO COMMENTS REGARDING THIS IN MY PREVIOUS
    POST

ONCE AGAIN I MADE NO COMMENTS ABOUT THIS!

TO ASSIGN COMMENTS TO SOMEONE THAT THEY DID NOT MAKE IS SLANDER.

16. I would just like to say that perhaps your view of what a real American is is perhaps a little narrow. Is being born in the USA not enough to qualify as a real American? "

I HAVE MADE NO COMMENTS REGARDING THIS IN MY PREVIOUS
    POST

ONCE AGAIN I MADE NO COMMENTS ABOUT THIS!

TO ASSIGN COMMENTS TO SOMEONE THAT THEY DID NOT MAKE IS SLANDER.

17. Fred,
    Have you watched the match USA vs England?
    You're clearly not a soccer guy, so : SHUT UP.
    Don't try to comment on what you clearly don't have a clue about.

18. The U.S needs time out added time to stay alive in the tournament , while playing one of the most backward countries in the world, and your bragging about that?

As for shutting people up, Macleans is doing that for you so far.

19. The US did well (relatively well, ok) and there was a lot of interest on the part of the American public (do you read the papers or news sites?).
    The fact that the US team was eliminated does not make you more of an expert on soccer (you still write like you don't have a clue).
    And there is the fact that you waited for the US team to be eliminated to provide us with your "commentary" (that is so coward of you!).
    The shut up part was me giving you advice on how not to embarrass yourself trying to comment on something you know nothing about.
    And yes, I was wrong. People like you seem to not listen to advice and go on trying to prove they are right (even when it is clear their first comment was full of holes – you were actually not able to provide any accurate information).
    Get a life. Do some research before trying to comment on some topic "of your interest".
    Go back to hockey or american footbal.