Public policy and the real world

Michael Geist dismisses Vic Toews’ attempt to link the case of Luka Rocco Magnotta and the government’s “lawful access” legislation.

The Toews comments continue the longstanding trend of unsubstantiated claims by government officials about lawful access. In this case, there is simply no question that law enforcement can obtain the necessary warrant on customer name and address information (if an ISP refused as part of an investigation) and police have presumably obtained warrants for far more detailed information. Moroever, the surveillance capabilities at ISPs mandated by C-30 – which focus on real-time surveillance – appear completely irrelevant given that Magnotta fled to France. In fact, reports indicate that there were early warnings about Magnotta and the video openly available that were dismissed by police.

Bruce Cheadle considers the Eaton Centre shooting in the context of Conservative crime policy.

That the lesson — do the crime, do the time — apparently hasn’t sunk in after more than six years of Conservative rule could be construed as an admission of failure. Nicholson declined an interview request Monday but his office, in an email, listed various gun crime provisions it has enacted and stated “our government has a solid track record when it comes to cracking down on gun crime.”

Christopher Husbands faces one charge of first-degree murder and six counts of attempted murder in regards to the shooting at the Eaton Centre. The mandatory sentence for first-degree murder of life imprisonment with no chance of parole for 25 years was established in 1976. In December 2011, the Harper government repealed the “faint hope” clause for those convicted of first-degree murder.




Browse

Public policy and the real world

  1. The Conservatives successfully make the Eaton Centre shooting a tough on crime issue; the opposition fails to make it a gun control issue. So it goes.

    • The CPC didn’t make it a tough on crime issue. The shooter did that himself, what with him being out on house-arrest. The CPC didn’t incite him to do it, they’ve simply been advocating policies that would make doing what he did much harder.

      I also fail to see how the opposition could turn this into a gun control issue. What kind of sollution would they propose when:
      A) Killer was on house arrest, presumably prohibited from carrying a weapon.
      B) Killer had unregistered weapon, that would have been illegal anyway.
      C) Killer intentionally targets his victim in one of the most crowded places in the country.

      What kind of “gun control” measures could be put in place to stop this? More laws making his gun *even more* illegal? I think it’s clear in this situation that no number of laws would have stopped this guy from doing what he did.

      It’s also a clear example of the dangers of house arrest. While maybe 90% of people under house arrest follow the rules and abide by the law, what about the other 10%? The government should be worried about protecting society from the 10%, and not worried about making sure the 90% are comfortable.

      • Be tough on gun crime. Ban all guns.

        • The CPC has been tough on gun crime. You know, the mandatory minimums for using a gun in the commission of a crime. You know, the legislation that the opposition has been crawing about for weeks. The legislation that would make it tougher to get house arrest, which might have kept this guy in jail instead of out on the streets.

          And the guy used a banned gun. Please explain how you think banning more guns might have prevented this? If there’s a rash of fatalities involving sports cars, is the solution to ban SUVs and station wagons?

          Your logic boggles the mind. “Inner city gangsters are using illegal, unregistered guns to commit crimes. Therefore, we must take law abiding farmers’ shotguns and rifles from them…. yup, that outta do it!”

          • Well you like em or you don’t. Criminals and Conservatives like em. Personally I don’t like em at all, and would ban them all if it was up to me.

Sign in to comment.