If there were no surprises in the Speech from the Throne, which outlined the priorities of the new Liberal Government, there was one glaring message: ambition.
From putting a price on carbon to ending the first-past-the-post electoral system, from tax breaks for the middle class to legalizing pot—and don’t forget Senate reform—each promise is a lot easier declared than done.
What promises will be kept quickly and what will prove to be more difficult as time rolls on? Did the Liberals leave themselves some wiggle room? What are the key areas to watch as the Trudeau era begins?
Evan Solomon and Aaron Wherry break down the Speech From the Throne and what it tells us about the start of a new Liberal era.
- Maclean’s annotates the Throne Speech
- Paul Wells on a short Throne Speech that loads up Trudeau’s agenda
- Aaron Wherry on Justin Trudeau’s politics of ambition
- An explainer of those odd rituals to launch a new Parliamentary session
- Jean Chrétien’s advice to Justin Trudeau