Sure, Regina and Windsor are okay names, but they’re kind of dull compared to what those places used to be called.
1. Regina was Pile of Bones
2. Kenora, Ont. was Rat Portage
3. Collingwood, Ont. was Hens-and-Chickens Harbour
4. Raleigh, Nfld. was Ha Ha Bay
5. Windsor, Ont. was Sandwich
6. Moncton was La Coude (the elbow), later renamed the Bend
Source: Natural Resources Canada
Have you ever wondered which cities have the most bars, smokers, absentee workers and people searching for love? What about how Canada compares to the world in terms of the size of its military, the size of our houses and the number of cars we own? The answers to all those questions, and many more, can be found in the first ever Maclean’s Book of Lists.
Buy your copy of the Maclean’s Book of Lists at the newsstand or order online now.
Thursday, December 27, 2012