Any gastronome worth her weight in saffron knows to make a bee line for the Cookbook Store when they’re hungry for a good read.
For the past 30 years, manager Allison Fryer has stocked the Toronto shop’s shelves for the food and wine community with the culinary world’s best cookbooks, magazines and literature. The store also plays host to events featuring homegrown chefs, like Rob Feenie and Michael Smith, and such international sensations as Thomas Keller and Nigella Lawson.
Fryer, who can smell a food trend a mile away, also tabulates the store’s bestsellers list. That’s why we’ve asked her to share the best in food books that are flying off the shelves. Here’s the August list:
2. Dearie, by Bob Spitz
3. Quinoa 365, by P. Green & C. Hemming (Canadian)
4. The Farm, by Ian Knauer
5. Plenty, by Y. Ottolenghi & S. Tamimi
6. For the Love of Salad, by Jeanelle Mitchell (Canadian)
7. For the Love of Soup, by Jeanelle Mitchell (Canadian)
8. Great Food Fast from the Kitchens of Every Day Food Magazine
9. The Book of Kale, by Sharon Hanna
10. Clueless Vegetarian, by Evelyn Raab (Canadian)