Another day, another Obama swipe at Keystone XL - Macleans.ca
 

Another day, another Obama swipe at Keystone XL


 

Just last week, a DC energy analyst who knows his way around the White House was putting the odds on the Obama administration approving the Keystone XL pipeline at 70%, with a 20% chance of delay, and 10% chance of rejection. Presumably that calculus has now changed. As Paul Wells has chronicled, U.S. president Barack Obama has been taking a strikingly more skeptical tone in recent days.

Part of the context is that Obama is traveling the country giving speeches aimed at showing he is focused on the economy and jobs. Republicans have been using the Keystone issues as part of their critique of Obama’s economic record. By dismissing the pipeline as a job creator — and drawing criticism from the Washington Post’s fact-checker — Obama is defending himself from GOP charges that he has cost the country jobs by delaying the permit.

That doesn’t necessarily mean he’s opposed to the pipeline. His comments in the New York Times were also given in the context of an interview about jobs and seemed to leave the door open to approval — but suggested that Canada could make it more likely by stepping up with new emissions regulations on the oil sands.

But today he struck an unusually derisive tone.  Obama has always talked about the pipeline in painstakingly neutral tone, as if he were the chair of the Federal Reserve talking about interest rates — careful not to be seen to be prejudging the outcome of the State Department’s review process.  Today, in a jobs-themed speech today in Chattanooga, Tennessee, he brought up the pipeline in the same breath as Republican efforts to overturn his health care reform :

“I’m going to lay out my ideas to give the middle class a better shot.  But now it’s time for Republicans to lay out their ideas.

If they’ve got a better plan to bring back more manufacturing jobs here to Tennessee and around the country, then let them know — let me know.  I want to hear them.  If they’ve got a better plan to create jobs rebuilding our infrastructure or to help workers earn the high-tech skills that they need, then they should offer up these ideas.

But I’ve got to tell you, just gutting our environmental protection, that’s not a jobs plan.  Gutting investments in education, that’s not a jobs plan.  They keep on talking about this — an oil pipeline coming down from Canada that’s estimated to create about 50 permanent jobs — that’s not a jobs plan.  Wasting the country’s time by taking something like 40 meaningless votes to repeal Obamacare is not a jobs plan.  That’s not a jobs plan.  (Applause.)

 

 


 
Filed under:

Another day, another Obama swipe at Keystone XL

  1. Oh lordy….the chairs at 24 Sussex are in danger again, and Harp’s probably hunting for cigs.

  2. You have to almost feel sorry for Obama – there is nothing sadder than a lame duck president of the USA – every day that goes by now he gets significantly weaker and his role becomes more and more irrelevant – the strange thing is as canadians we are now in completely new territory – never before in our history have we done so well while they are not! – every other economic hard time that we shared as nations our unemployment was always worse – and yet this global recession is showing a whole new thing – our unemployment numbers have been and are considerably better! Our options for growth outpace the yanks in every measure even Keystone – we don’t need it .. right now everry province and organization are lining up pressuring Ottawa to go east young man – and Harper is keeping us in the catbird seat! Harper can play the Keystone card and it only makes Obama look sillier and sillier especially when he uses numbers that are so far off the mark you can smell the desparation – Obama is clearly trying to keep his enviro wing nut base happy and this only adds fuel to the fire – Obama’s numbers are roughly equivalent to Bush’s at the same time and not getting much better however this should not be surprising! The Yankees wanted their first black president and now the honeymoon is indeed over – the next crowdsourced president will be the first woman you can almost hear the sound of herds of democrats scurrying over to to that ship – more and more people are lining up to interview Hillary and Obama is fading faster and faster each day.

    • You could have just cut and pasted that from the memo you know. There was no need for the spelling mistakes