The duke of Edinburgh left hospital on Monday, after having exploratory surgery on June 7. The 92-year-old had been expected to recover in hospital for two weeks but left a few days early. “He is in good spirits and he is very keen to leave, and very grateful to the medical staff and all the well-wishers who have sent him cards,” the palace said.
He walked briskly down the stairs to his car, carrying a thick book. While the reason for the operation has never been released, Prince Philip seems to have lost weight during his stay at the London Clinic. His blue blazer appeared to hang loosely on his frame. “There is nothing to suggest he will need to go back into hospital for further treatment, and there won’t be any update on his condition, but obviously the fact that he is well enough to leave hospital speaks for itself,” officials stated. Buckingham Palace says he’ll spend two months recovering, part of which will no doubt be spent looking at some of the more than 1,000 cards that arrived from the public.
The Duke of Edinburgh has left the London Clinic following an exploratory operation #PrincePhilip
— TheBritishMonarchy (@BritishMonarchy) June 17, 2013
— Mark Stewart (@RegalEyes) June 17, 2013