David James Leblanc appears in Nova Scotia court, faces with new charges

BRIDGEWATER, N.S. – A man accused of sexually assaulting and confining a 16-year-old boy in Nova Scotia is facing additional charges.

David James Leblanc had charges of sexual assault causing bodily harm, uttering a death threat, administering a noxious substance with intent to cause bodily harm, kidnapping and breach of conditions added to those he was already facing before he appeared Tuesday in Bridgewater provincial court.

He had earlier been charged with forcible confinement and sexual assault.

Leblanc, 47, made a brief appearance at an arraignment hearing and was ordered to appear in court again on Oct. 23.

He walked into the courtroom with his feet wrapped in blue hospital slippers. Leblanc, who was wearing a navy blue T-shirt and sweat pants, sat quietly during his appearance in court with his hands clutched between his legs.

As Leblanc was escorted out of the courtroom, two boys yelled profanities from the gallery, calling him a “goof” and saying they hope he dies.

The RCMP launched their investigation in the case after a woman reported that a boy showed up at her doorstep in Upper Chelsea, barefoot and chained at his wrists and ankles.

In documents filed with the provincial court in Bridgewater, the RCMP say the boy told them he was sleeping on the streets of Halifax last month when he woke up in a van and was taken to a home.

The document says two men held the boy against his will, sexually assaulted him over several days and talked about trying to sell him.

Crown lawyer Lloyd Tancock said it was his understanding that Leblanc is trying to obtain a lawyer.

Tancock said he did not see the teenager, who cannot be identified, in court on Tuesday.

Police issued arrest warrants last month for Leblanc and a co-accused, Wayne Alan Cunningham, whose body was found last week in northern Ontario.

Leblanc was arrested eight days ago on a road in the northern Ontario community of Greenstone after officers received a report of a man wandering with no shoes and wearing light clothing in near-freezing temperatures. Police said he was hospitalized for treatment of injuries suffered as a result of his exposure to the elements.

The search for Cunningham ended Thursday when his body was found in a densely wooded area close to where Leblanc was arrested. Foul play is not suspected in his death.

Last week, Leblanc’s mother said Cunningham was a diabetic and she didn’t know if he had medication with him.

Looking for more?

Get the Best of Maclean's sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for news, commentary and analysis.