Five things we learned about July 1 from the morning papers:
- It’s Canada Day, of course, but as the Canadian Press is reporting, it’s also the day new taxes, laws and regulations kick in. Ontarians earning more than $500,000 face a two per cent surtax, just for example. There are tougher impaired driving laws in Alberta, higher daycare fees in Manitoba, new rules on motorcycles in B.C. and a change to plastic bag charges in Toronto.
- Today’s noonhour show on Parliament Hill will feature Feist and Roch Voisine.
- In Montreal, July 1 is known as “the city’s annual moving day more than anything else.”
- Some 1,500 individuals at more than 30 ceremonies across the country will become Canadian citizens.
- In celebration of Canada Day, Britain’s National Archives has released hundreds of pre-Confederation photos of Canada. Find them here.