General

Scores killed in Nairobi fire

Gas leak caused deadly blaze in Kenyan slum

At least 120 people were killed in Kenya after gas spilled into a sewer and ignited underneath a densely-packed slum. Local media say the toll will likely be much higher, and the disaster which was probably sparked by a discarded cigarette. Residents told Reuters the fuel spilled from a depot owned by the Kenya Pipeline Company, where the slum’s residents often siphon fuel from.

Reuters

Looking for more?

Get the best of Maclean's sent straight to your inbox. Sign up for news, commentary and analysis.

FILED UNDER: