Detective testifies about Magnotta's movements as trial resumes

A Montreal police detective will resume her testimony as the second week of the Magnotta trial begins.

MONTREAL – Luka Rocco Magnotta’s murder trial enters its second week today with a Montreal police homicide detective resuming her testimony about his activities after he killed Jun Lin.

The 32-year-old Magnotta has pleaded not guilty to five charges but insists he is not criminally responsible in the Chinese student’s death because of mental disorder.

Lin’s torso was found on May 29, 2012, stuffed into a suitcase behind a Montreal apartment building where Magnotta lived.

Evidence presented Friday focused on security video footage of Magnotta at the building and at two Montreal-area postal counters.

The 33-year-old Lin was seen on surveillance video wearing a yellow T-shirt, shorts and a baseball cap as he walked nonchalantly into the apartment building with Magnotta at 10:16 p.m. on May 24, 2012.

Just a few hours later, Magnotta was caught on the same cameras, wearing Lin’s T-shirt and methodically putting trash in the basement of the building as well as carrying it outside over the next day.

That was just one of dozens of instances where Magnotta was spotted entering and leaving the building before he left for Europe on May 26.

While Magnotta admits to causing the acts he’s accused of in Lin’s death, his lawyer has said his client suffers from schizophrenia and was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder shortly before the slaying.

The Crown contends the killing was planned and deliberate and says it will prove that.

The charges against Magnotta are first-degree murder; criminally harassing Prime Minister Stephen Harper and other members of Parliament; mailing obscene and indecent material; committing an indignity to a body; and publishing obscene material.

The first week of the trial heard from eight witnesses – five police officers, two apartment employees and Lin’s former lover, Feng Lin.