Today’s worldwide, standardized time zones are the brainchild of Sir Sandford Fleming, a Scottish-Canadian engineer and inventor who was also a skilled surveyor, map maker and railway engineer. The school that bears his name aims to continue his legacy of inventiveness.
Fleming College offers a comprehensive range of more than 150 diploma, certificate, apprenticeship, post-graduate and continuing education programs. Its main Sutherland campus in Peterborough was recently renovated, and the 87,000-sq.-foot Kawartha Trades and Technology Centre opened at Sutherland in 2014. The centre features state-of-the-art training equipment for students enrolled in carpentry, welding, plumbing and other trade programs.
Fleming’s Frost campus in nearby Lindsay specializes in environmental training education. It features an alternative wastewater treatment system along with a windmill. Arts students train at the Haliburton campus, which offers naturally lit studio spaces, an outdoor patio beside the Haliburton Sculpture Forest, and the Centre for Making. The centre boasts equipment such as 3D printers, scanners, a laser engraver, a vinyl cutter and an industrial sewing machine. Students in any of the school’s programs are welcome to use the tools.
Suite-style residences with private bedrooms are available at the Lindsay and Peterborough campuses.
|Size of school||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Tuition (post-grad)||Residence offerings|
|Mid-sized (2,000 full-time students to fewer than 10,000 full-time students)||$2,581-$6,769||$2,718-$8,362||$6,120-$6,789||Yes|
- Aquaculture Co-op: This one-year certificate program includes hands-on experience at campus hatchery facilities and ends in an eight-week, paid co-op experience.
- Biotechnology—Advanced: Students explore forensics, DNA and medical data in lab environments. Specializations are available in forensics and biotechnology.
- Computer Security and Investigations: Learn the skills to assess and manage technical risks and protect against cybercrime. Courses are frequently reviewed to stay up-to-date with industry needs.
- Wireless Information Networking
- Practical Nursing
- Fish and Wildlife Technician
- Project Management
- Social Services Worker