Alberta’s first agricultural college is home to a 3,000-acre student-managed farm with hundreds of head of livestock, including beef, purebred livestock, dairy cattle herds and a bison herd. While using the latest equipment and technology, students manage commercial-scale crop, livestock and ag research enterprises.
The 14,500-sq.-foot Animal Health Clinic opened in 2018 and boasts separate wards for dogs and cats, and a dental lab. The renovated WHT Mead Animal Science Centre will open in fall 2022. Another state-of-the-art facility is the Energy Centre, which includes a steam lab, high-pressure boilers and turbines. They allow students to experience the working lives of power engineers (and get a taste of shift work). Energy students lead shifts in the Cenovus Lab, providing heat and power for the Lloydminster campus.
The school’s older Vermilion campus has an ambiance suited to the country. It is home to the Emergency Training Centre. It has a seven-storey fire tower, dangerous goods and vehicle extraction pads, and an industrial complex for comprehensive practical training. Lakeland’s urban Lloydminster campus is housed under one roof.
Lakeland offers more than 50 programs that lead to certificates, diplomas and applied degrees, as well as degree-completion options and apprenticeship training in areas such as agricultural sciences and environmental sciences.
|Size of school||Tuition (degree)||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Tuition (post-grad)||Residence offerings|
|Mid-sized (2,000 full-time students to fewer than 10,000 full-time students)||$3,360-7,361||$5,557-$9,156||$5,460-$20,965||$6,230-$7,360||Yes|
- Bachelor of Agriculture Technology: Students learn how to apply agricultural technology while gaining foundational knowledge in agricultural production, business management and computers.
- Fire & Emergency Services: Through their studies and 160 hours of hands-on practice, students gain the necessary skills to become first responders in the fire service or pre-hospital care fields.
- Animal Assisted Wellness Certificate: This post-credential program teaches students how to integrate animals into our work or practice. Students assess which settings are suitable for animals, the ethical treatment of animals, animal behaviour and handling, and more.
- Early Learning & Child Care Diploma
- University Transfer
- Animal Science Technology