The Saskatchewan Indian Institute of Technologies (SIIT) was one of the first post-secondary institutes in the country to be fully governed by First Nations leaders. The school has campuses in Saskatoon, Prince Albert and Regina, all of which offer a full range of support services, including Elders and life-skills coaches. For students who are shifting from a rural community to the city, the school offers community resource workers to assist with finding housing and childcare. There are nine career centres across the province, and the school travels to First Nation communities to teach about 30 programs a year.
SIIT’s growing program roster includes diplomas, certificates, academic upgrading, and apprenticeship and trades training. Some programs have a distinct First Nations focus, such as the First Nations childcare certificate and diploma program. Others train students to work as health-care aides, in auto body repair and as women in trades. The school’s business program gives students a basic understanding of the operations of a corporation, charity or government organization. Through a transfer agreement, students in the two-year business diploma program can move to the University of Saskatchewan or the University of Lethbridge to complete a bachelor of commerce degree.
|Size of school||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Tuition (post-graduate)||Residence offerings|
|Small (fewer than 2,000 full-time students)||$5,885-$11,701||$6,335-$8,936||$650-$2,550||No|
- Indigenous Practical Nursing: This diploma program includes a lifespan health and Indigenous health-care focus, 180 hours of practicum and opportunities for community-based preceptorships.
- Mental Health and Wellness: Students are introduced to Indigenous- and Western-based holistic approaches to healing and addictions counselling.
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineering: The only one of its kind in the province, this program boasts support from major industry partners and a state-of-the-art lab complete with a helicopter, a plane and many aircraft parts.
- Mental Health and Wellness
- Aircraft Maintenance Technician
- Adult Basic Education