In fall 2018, North Bay’s Canadore College of Applied Arts and Technology will open the Village, a 33,000-sq.-foot facility. In the only model of its kind in Canada, the centre will focus on the integration of Indigenous, Eastern and Western healing and wellness practices. The facility combines seniors’ and community care, with teaching, skills training and applied research in one space.
Canadore offers a range of diploma, certificate, apprenticeship and academic upgrading programs. Among those on the roster are aviation studies, business, Indigenous studies, trades and technology, marine nautical studies and environmental studies.
Nearly 20 per cent of Canadore’s student population identifies as First Nation, Metis or Inuit, and Canadore has a higher Indigenous student retention rate than the provincial average. The First People’s Centre, whose design features natural elements and is based on the teachings of the medicine wheel, is among the available resources.
Canadore’s specialized facilities for its media studies include the post-production centre, which features a mix stage, colour correction room and dialogue replacement equipment.
Canadore has three main campuses in North Bay, on a beautiful 260-hectare wooded escarpment. It also has a new campus in west Parry Sound. Townhouse and apartment-style student residences are available near its Education Centre in North Bay.
|Size of school||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Tuition (post-grad)||Residence offerings|
|Mid-sized (2,000 full-time students to fewer than 10,000 full-time students)||$3,020-$7,100||$3,020||$3,020-$4,020||Yes|
• Indigenous Wellness and Addictions Prevention: The curriculum focuses on the root causes of addiction, with training ranging from pharmacology to sacred circles to use of the four sacred medicines: tobacco, cedar, sage and sweetgrass.
• Post-production: Students in this graduate certificate program learn advanced processes including advanced video editing, audio mixing, ADR and colour grading.
• Helicopter Flight Training: In this partnership with a private firm, students gain both a college education and in-depth practical training.
• Digital Cinematography
• Environmental and Biotechnology
• Indigenous Studies and Health
More Schools: Nipissing University, Cambrian College of Applied Arts and Technology, Confederation College of Applied Arts and Technology, Conestoga College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning, Loyalist College of Applied Arts and Technology