Nestled in the North Shore Mountains and a mere 20 minutes from downtown Vancouver, Capilano University is a great choice for outdoor enthusiasts and urbanites alike. In 2019, CapU opened a new campus in the North Vancouver community of Lower Lonsdale, at the centre of the rapidly evolving Shipyards community. With six classrooms and flexible spaces, the design of CapU Lonsdale celebrates the natural environment. The kálax-ay Sunshine Coast campus in Sechelt, B.C., serves students on the Sunshine Coast and along the Squamish-Whistler corridor.
The university is best known for its jazz, film, animation and performing arts programs. CapU graduate Bria Skonberg and instructor Brad Turner were nominated for Juno awards in 2020. Graduates have also worked on Oscar-winning animated films, including Disney’s Zootopia.
CapU’s paralegal, early childhood care and education, music therapy and design programs are also highly regarded. In 2020, the school began an Indigenous digital accelerator program, which supports Indigenous entrepreneurs in digital, technological and creative fields. In 2021 and 2022, CapU will launch new four-year degrees in psychology and general sciences.
Class sizes average 25 students, so students at CapU receive individual attention. The Kéxwusm-áyakn Student Centre welcomes Indigenous students and hosts Elders-in-Residence. The B.C. Student Outcomes survey found 95 per cent of bachelor degree students were satisfied with their education.
|Size of school||Tuition (degree)||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Tuition (post-grad)||Residence offerings|
|Mid-sized (2,000 full-time students to fewer than 10,000 full-time students)||$5,525-$16,550||$5,525-$20,875||$3,750-$12,425||$3,255-$8,640||Yes|
- Tourism Management: Explore the challenges facing the global tourism industry. Students can concentrate on hotel and resort management or adventure.
- Indigenous Independent Digital Filmmaking: Indigenous industry professionals teach all aspects of filmmaking. Students who complete the diploma can apply to the third year of the school’s bachelor of motion picture arts.
- Music Therapy: Students learn to use music in many different settings, including working with children with autism, adults with mental health challenges, and elderly patients.
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Associate of Science—Biology
- Associate of Science
- Business Administration Diploma
- Bachelor of Motion Picture Arts