Collège de l’Îlle is the only French-language community college on Prince Edward Island. It has training centres in Wellington, Deblois and a new campus in Charlottetown, which is home to 62 per cent of the Island’s francophone population.
The college offers certificate and diploma programs in accounting, bilingual office administration, early childhood education, human services and health care, a sector where the demand for bilingual practical nurses and resident care workers is particularly high. A practical nursing program is offered in collaboration with the Collège communautaire du Nouveau-Brunswick, with students receiving diplomas from both institutions.
Collège de l’Îlle also offers conversational French courses through night school, an online French-as-a-second-language program, basic education and tutoring. Customized courses and workshops are available in French to businesses, community organizations, and individuals.
The Charlottetown campus adjoins Holland College’s Prince of Wales campus, which has opened up new avenues for collaboration. Students can choose to take certain courses in French or English on either campus; they also enjoy shared cafeteria and gym access. The partnership extends even further: Collège de l’Îlle students can receive medical coverage under Holland’s health and dental insurance plans.
|Size of school||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Residence offerings|
|Small (fewer than 2,000 full-time students)||$8,500-$10,472||$4,745-$5,902||No|
• Bilingual Administrative Assistant: Students learn to provide business support in both official languages. This one-year program trains students in commonly used software and office administration.
• Youth Worker: Students put their skills to use in practical settings and, in their second year, learn “life coaching” and provide one-on-one mentorship to youth in need.
• Human Services: In this program, students learn how to provide front-line interventions to people of all ages and backgrounds with special needs, and to help them access specialized support services.
• Practical Nursing
• Early Childhood Education
• Bilingual Adminstrative Assistant
• Youth Worker
• Human Services