Saskatchewan’s only French-language post-secondary institution, Collège Mathieu is over 100 years old. In 1918, Bishop Olivier Elzéar Mathieu opened its doors as a classical college run by the Roman Catholic Church in Gravelbourg, the heart of the province’s francophone community.
Today, Collège Mathieu is a secular technical and vocational school with campuses in Gravelbourg, Saskatoon and Regina. Students may choose from full-time, part-time, on- and off-campus certificate and diploma options in business administration, education, welding, event management and health care. The school has a small residence with private bedrooms and a shared kitchen, a dining room and laundry facilities.
In September 2019, after an increasing demand for bilingual health-care workers was identified in Saskatchewan, Collège Mathieu and Saskatchewan Polytechnic began offering a bilingual practical nursing program. The college also began accepting applications for a new journalism program that is starting in 2020.
Because it promotes French education and literacy, the college offers scholarship incentives to new graduates of Fransaskois high schools or French immersion programs. It is also home to Le Lien, a physical and virtual library that lends its collection of French-language books, movies, games and music—at no cost—throughout Saskatchewan and Western Canada.
|Size of school||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Residence offerings|
|Small (fewer than 2,000 full-time students)||$3,650-$10,238||$2,010-$5,880||Yes|
- Practical Nursing: This program is offered 60 per cent in French and 40 per cent in English. Students must complete 180 hours of lab and practicum work.
- Welding: This Red Seal certified program meets the interprovincial standard of excellence and enables students to find work anywhere in Canada.
- Journalism: Offered entirely online, this two-year program introduces students to the world of news networks. Students train to produce for various media, research, report, and host radio and TV shows.
- Early Childhood Education
- Special Education Assistant
- Health-Care Aide
- Business Administration