Saskatchewan’s only French-language post-secondary institution, Collège Mathieu is over 100 years old. Bishop Olivier Elzéar Mathieu opened its doors as a classical college run by the Roman Catholic Church in Gravelbourg, the heart of the province’s francophone community.
Today, Collège Mathieu is a secular technical and vocational school with campuses in Gravelbourg, Saskatoon and Regina. Students may choose from full-time, part-time, on- and off-campus certificate and diploma options in business administration, education, welding, event management and health care. The school has a small residence with private bedrooms and a shared kitchen, a dining room and laundry facilities.
In September 2019, after an increasing demand for bilingual health-care workers was identified in Saskatchewan, Collège Mathieu and Saskatchewan Polytechnic began offering a bilingual practical nursing program. The college also began a new journalism program in 2020.
Because it promotes French education and literacy, the college offers scholarship incentives to new graduates of Fransaskois high schools or French immersion programs. (The Fransaskois are francophone residents of Saskatchewan.) The college is also home to Le Lien, a physical and virtual library that lends out its collection of French-language books, movies, games and music—at no cost—across Saskatchewan and Western Canada.
|Size of school||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Residence offerings|
|Small (fewer than 2,000 full-time students)||$3,215-$11,550||$1,890-$6,430||Yes|
- Early Childhood Education: Through lectures, tutorials and an internship, this online program teaches students to work with children up to the age of 12. Graduates are qualified to work in preschools, school-based childcare and other childcare settings.
- Practical Nursing: This program is offered 60 per cent in French and 40 per cent in English. Students must complete 180 hours of lab and practicum work.
- Welding: This Red Seal-certified program meets the interprovincial standard of excellence and enables students to find work anywhere in Canada.
- Early Childhood Education
- Special Education Assistant
- Licensed Practical Nursing