The main campus of Confederation College of Applied Arts and Technology in Thunder Bay is situated on the shore of Lake Superior. Averaging 2,121 hours of sunshine per year, the community offers a mix of urban and active lifestyles—students enjoy the convenience of city living with easy access to some of Canada’s most epic natural surroundings. Serving a catchment area of 550,000 sq. km—about the size of France—the college also has eight regional learning sites throughout northwestern Ontario.
A leader in Indigenous learning, Confederation has a large Indigenous student population and focused support services and programs.
Confederation offers more than 60 diploma, certificate, apprenticeship and educational upgrading programs, with programs and research projects geared toward serving the workforce needs of northwestern Ontario.
The college has three residences, including dorms and apartment-style options.
Confederation’s strategic plan emphasizes applied research in natural resources, green energy, wellness and Indigenous learning. Most recently, it has focused on the construction of a state-of-the-art Technology, Education and Collaboration Hub. The 45,000 sq.-foot facility will contribute to the technology and trades workforce for northwestern Ontario. It will also host research, incubation and technology transfer services to support the region’s advanced manufacturing, technology and resource sectors.
|Size of school||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Tuition (post-grad)||Residence offerings|
|Mid-sized (2,000 full-time students to fewer than 10,000 full-time students)||$4,122-$6,454||$4,122-$4,909||$4,122||Yes|
• Native Child and Family Services: A diploma combining culturally relevant classroom learning with two field placements and the option of a co-op.
• Forest Ecosystem Management Technician: Students in this diploma program gain the theoretical knowledge and technical skills needed to work in the forest and environmental sectors.
• Pre-health Sciences: A certificate aimed at preparing students for a post-secondary health care program.
• Practical Nursing
• Pre-health (Pathways to Diplomas and Degrees)
• Flight Management
• Pre-health (Pathways to Certificates and Diplomas)
• Welding Techniques