The main campus of Confederation College of Applied Arts and Technology in Thunder Bay is situated on Lake Superior. Averaging 2,121 hours of sunshine per year, the area offers urban and active lifestyles: students enjoy the convenience of city living with easy access to natural surroundings. Serving a catchment area of 550,000 sq. km—about the size of France—the college has eight regional campuses throughout northwestern Ontario and a distance education division for online programs. A leader in Indigenous learning, Confederation has a large Indigenous student population and focused support services and programs.
The college offers more than 60 diploma, certificate, apprenticeship and educational upgrading programs. It has three residences, with dorms and apartment-style options. In 2018, the college completed construction on its state-of-the-art Technology, Education and Collaboration Hub. The 45,000-sq.-foot facility will contribute to the development of a skilled technology and trades workforce for northwestern Ontario. It hosts research, incubation and technology transfer services to support the region’s advanced manufacturing, technology and resource sectors. Confederation’s strategic plan emphasizes applied research and partnerships that support sustainability, student success, community well-being and Indigenous learning.
|Size of school||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Tuition (post-grad)||Residence offerings|
|Mid-sized (2,000 full-time students to fewer than 10,000 full-time students)||$3,811-$6,031||$3,811-$12,971||$3,811||Yes|
- Aboriginal Community Advocacy: Students analyze inequalities and demonstrate creativity to champion
the needs of Indigenous communities.
- Community Integration Through Co-operative Education: This program helps students with intellectual disabilities and other learning challenges develop vocational abilities.
- Environmental Technician: Students learn to manage natural and manufactured environments, assessing, protecting and restoring ecosystems.
- Practical Nursing
- Social Service Worker
- Early Childhood Education
- Aviation—Flight Management