Cumberland College has three campuses in northeast Saskatchewan: Nipawin, Melfort and Tisdale. The college offers diplomas, certificates, adult basic education and university courses featuring a diverse range of programs in fields such as business, health, human services, agriculture and a number of trades.
The school specializes in health-related training, including continuing care assistant, practical nursing and primary care paramedic programs. It also offers the first year of a registered nurse degree. The college works closely with the local health region to generate qualified employees to fill skill shortages and to provide professional development to existing employees.
Students can also begin a four-year bachelor degree at Cumberland in education or social work. All of these programs are organized in partnership with other post-secondary institutions, including the University of Saskatchewan, the University of Regina, First Nations University, Saskatchewan Polytechnic and Lakeland College.
Cumberland is one of seven regional colleges in Saskatchewan that offer courses created by other schools in the province.
A First Nations and Métis advisory council provides the school with guidance and direction on initiatives such as Indigenization and Elders-in-residence. Its membership includes 12 to 15 representatives of local communities.
|Size of school||Residence offerings|
|Small (fewer than 2,000 full-time students)||No|
- Agriculture and Bioresources: This degree is offered by the University of Saskatchewan, but students take their first year at Cumberland. Themes include soil, environment and ecology, and Kanawayihetaytan Askiy (“Let Us Take Care of the Land”).
- Victim Services Coordination: Students learn to provide advocacy, information, assistance and referrals to victims of crime or traumatic events.
- Industrial Mechanics: This program provides knowledge and skill development in installing, servicing, repairing and overhauling machines that produce industrial goods.
- Adult Basic Education
- University—First Year
- University—Bachelor of Education
- Continuing Care Assistant
- Practical Nursing