Today’s worldwide, standardized time zones are the brainchild of Sir Sandford Fleming, a Scottish-Canadian engineer and inventor who was also a skilled surveyor, map-maker and railway engineer. The school that bears his name aims to continue his legacy of inventiveness.
Fleming offers a comprehensive range of more than 100 diploma, certificate, apprenticeship, post-graduate and continuing education programs. Its main Sutherland campus in Peterborough was recently renovated, and the 87,000-sq.-foot Kawartha Trades and Technology Centre opened in 2014. The centre features state-of-the-art training equipment for students in carpentry, welding, plumbing, machining and other trades.
Fleming’s Frost campus in nearby Lindsay specializes in environmental training education. It features an alternative wastewater treatment system along with a windmill. Personal support worker classes take place in Cobourg. Arts students train at the Haliburton campus, which offers naturally lit studio spaces and the Centre for Making, which boasts equipment such as 3D printers, scanners, a laser engraver and an industrial sewing machine. Students in any program are welcome to use the tools.
Meanwhile, esthetician program students operate a spa at the Sutherland campus that is open to the public. Suite-style residences with private bedrooms are available at the Lindsay and Peterborough campuses.
|Size of school||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Tuition (post-grad)||Residence offerings|
|Mid-sized (2,000 full-time students to fewer than 10,000 full-time students)||$4,250-$7,920||$3,750-$11,218||$4,250-$7,920||Yes|
- Welding and Fabrication Technician: Students use a variety of destructive and non-destructive methods to test welds and acquire advanced skills in fitting and fabrication.
- Ecological Restoration Honours B.Sc.: Ecological restoration is an emerging discipline that focuses on assisting the recovery of degraded or damaged ecosystems. This program was developed in partnership with Trent University.
- Integrated Design: This program teaches design principles, theory, research and methodologies in combination with intensive studio time.
- Wireless Information Networking
- Project Management
- Practical Nursing
- Fish and Wildlife Technician