Today’s worldwide, standardized time zones are the brainchild of Sir Sandford Fleming, a Scottish-Canadian engineer and inventor who was also a skilled surveyor, map-maker and railway engineer. The school that bears his name aims to continue his legacy of inventiveness.
Fleming College offers a comprehensive range of more than 130 diploma, certificate, apprenticeship, post-graduate and continuing education programs. Its main Sutherland campus in Peterborough was recently renovated, and the 87,000-sq.-foot Kawartha Trades and Technology Centre opened at Sutherland in 2014. The centre features state-of-the-art training equipment for students enrolled in carpentry, welding, plumbing and other trade programs.
Fleming’s Frost campus in nearby Lindsay specializes in environmental training education. It features an alternative wastewater treatment system along with a windmill. Personal support worker classes take place at the school’s Cobourg campus while arts students train at the Haliburton campus, which offers naturally lit studio spaces and the Centre for Making. The centre boasts equipment such as 3D printers, scanners, a laser engraver and an industrial sewing machine. Students in any of the school’s programs are welcome to use the tools.
Suite-style residences with private bedrooms are available at the Lindsay and Peterborough campuses.
|Size of school||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Tuition (post-grad)||Residence offerings|
|Mid-sized (2,000 full-time students to fewer than 10,000 full-time students)||$3,900-$7,600||$1,758-$11,178||$4,716-$7,838||Yes|
- Blasting Techniques: The only one of its kind in Canada, this certificate program includes courses in explosives, blasthole drilling, blasting theory and geology.
- Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning: Learn to install, service, maintain and update heating, refrigeration and air conditioning systems. The focus is on energy-efficient solutions and technologies.
- Glass-Blowing: Transform molten glass into art. Learn about glass-blowing methodologies, colouring, mould-making and production in this intensive 15-week certificate program.
- Fish and Wildlife Technician
- Practical Nursing
- Project Management
- Wireless Information Networking