This technical institute is the training arm of the Gabriel Dumont Institute of Native Studies and Applied Research (GDI), which prides itself as a conservator of Métis culture. To this end, GDI holds a large virtual museum of Métis culture and history. The collection includes photographs, artwork, and textual and oral history records. GDI’s museum and the award-winning Gabriel Dumont Institute Press, which exclusively publishes Métis authors and illustrators, have been recognized for promoting history and culture.
GDI’s main campus is in Saskatoon, and it has program delivery centres in 13 communities across Saskatchewan. The institute is the second-largest practical nursing training provider in Saskatchewan; approximately 80 per cent of its graduates secure employment within three months of graduating.
Through partnerships with the province’s post-secondary institutions, GDI offers a variety of educational, vocational and skills-training programs. These include academic upgrading, certificate and diploma programs. Students also may complete the first two years of bachelor of arts and science degrees.
The college offers the Saskatchewan urban native teacher education program (SUNTEP), a bachelor of education program which focuses on Indigenous studies, cross-cultural education, and Métis and First Nations history and culture. SUNTEP is run in cooperation with the universities of Regina and Saskatchewan. GDI also offers the northern Indigenous teacher education program (NITEP).
|Size of school||Residence offerings|
|Small (fewer than 2,000 full-time students)||No|
- Indigenous Birth Support Worker: A six-week program teaches students to provide emotional support and physical comfort to women and their families during birth.
- Workplace 101: These programs focus on the essential skills needed to find gainful full- or part-time employment.
- Practical Nursing: Graduates receive a Saskatchewan Polytechnic/GDI diploma and are eligible to write the national licensure exam, register with the Saskatchewan Association of Licensed Practical Nurses and practise anywhere in Canada.
- Practical Nursing
- Adult Basic Education
- Heavy Equipment Truck and Transport Mechanic
- Continuing Care Assistant
- Office Administration