P.E.I.’s Holland College takes its educational philosophy from its namesake, Samuel Holland, an 18th-century surveyor with a well-known passion for progress and new technology.
The college offers 65 diploma and certificate programs on 11 campuses and centres across the province. Program areas include applied sciences, business, carpentry, computer studies, health and community studies, marine training, tourism and more.
Cooking students hone their skills at the Culinary Institute of Canada, housed in the Tourism and Culinary Centre on the historic Charlottetown waterfront. Next door is Canada’s Smartest Kitchen, a special research facility for food-product development, one of the school’s many science and technology research areas.
The college’s main campus, the Prince of Wales campus in Charlottetown, features the Florence Simmons Performance Hall, the Centre for Community Engagement—home of the Holland Hurricanes varsity sports teams—and five apartment-style residences.
The Summerside Waterfront Campus houses most of the college’s trades and industrial technology programs, along with the Marine Training Centre. The Atlantic Police Academy, also in Summerside, offers programs in firefighting, conservation enforcement, corrections, police science, and sheriff and public safety. The academy has its own student residence.
|Size of school||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Residence offerings|
|Mid-sized (2,000 full-time students to fewer than 10,000 full-time students)||$5,949-$6,949||$4,920-$30,534||Yes|
- Heritage Retrofit Carpentry: Students learn to preserve historic properties by restoring them to structural standards, making them more energy efficient without compromising their character.
- Bioscience Technology: This program is the only one of its kind in the region. Students learn natural product extraction, fermentation, and bacterial and animal cell culture techniques.
- School of Performing Arts: Train and perform at the Confederation Centre of the Arts, the Florence Simmons Performance Hall, and the SoPA Garage, a rehearsal space and recording studio.
- Sport and Leisure Management
- Business Administration
- Culinary Arts
- Computer Information Systems
- Primary Care Paramedicine