The Justice Institute of British Columbia (JIBC) specializes in training professionals in public safety, justice and social services. The school focuses on experiential learning, offering students hands-on activities through which they develop skills.
JIBC has six campuses in B.C. and also provides distance education. JIBC offers career options in paramedicine, firefighting, law enforcement, security, emergency management, intelligence analysis, corrections, counselling and conflict resolution. In 2020, JIBC launched its disaster management post-degree diploma, which prepares students to deal with emergencies such as wildfires, earthquakes and pandemics. In JIBC’s community care licensing officer program, students learn to monitor and inspect care facilities—both public and private—provide support and education, and bring facilities into compliance.
The Maple Ridge campus is Western Canada’s most extensive fire-training ground; it has 30 training props, including the cargo hold of a ship and a simulated 11-car train derailment. The New Westminster campus includes the Dr. Donald B. Rix Public Safety Simulation Building. JIBC’s web-based Praxis simulation technology is already being used for emergency management training by both government agencies and industry.
|Size of school||Tuition (degree)||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Tuition (post-grad)||Residence offerings|
|Mid-sized (2,000 full-time students to fewer than 10,000 full-time students)||$5,400-$6,600||$5,400-$6,600||$5,000-$12,450||$6,800-$11,000||No|
- Community Care Licensing: This program is unique to Canada and prepares students for a career as a licensing officer who can inspect and monitor care facilities.
- Cybercrime Analysis: Students learn to scrutinize ambiguous data to assess risk, anticipate threats and prevent crime.
- Law Enforcement Studies: Students learn applied law enforcement skills and study criminology, criminal law, the justice system and other subjects suitable for careers in law enforcement and public safety.
- Primary Care Paramedicine
- Law Enforcement Studies
- Exterior Firefighter Operations
- B.C. Police Recruit Training
- Correctional Officer Training