The Justice Institute of British Columbia (JIBC) specializes in training professionals in public safety, justice and social services. It offers certificates, diplomas, bachelor’s degrees and graduate certificates. JIBC has six campuses in B.C., additional training centres around the province, and sites across Canada and around the world.
JIBC offers career options in paramedicine, firefighting, law enforcement, security, emergency management, intelligence analysis, corrections, trauma counselling and conflict resolution. JIBC’s community care licensing officer program is the first of its kind in Canada,where students learn to monitor and inspect various care facilities—both public and private. They also learn how to conduct investigations, provide support and education, and bring facilities into compliance.
The Maple Ridge campus is Western Canada’s most extensive fire-training ground, with 30 training props, including the cargo hold of a ship and a simulated 11-car train derailment. The New Westminster campus houses the Dr. Donald B. Rix Public Safety Simulation Building, designed to allow students to apply techniques in a realistic setting. JIBC’s web-based Praxis simulation technology uses video, audio and digital technology to walk students through scenarios. This technology, currently being commercialized, is already being used for emergency management training by both government and industry.
|Size of school||Tuition (degree)||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Tuition (post-grad)||Residence offerings|
|Mid-sized (2,000 full-time students to fewer than 10,000 full-time students)||$5,200-$6,450||$5,200- $6,450||$4,800-$11,950||$6,600-$10,600||No|
- Emergency and Security Management Studies: This is the first undergraduate degree in Canada designed specifically to meet the safety, security and emergency management challenges of the 21st century.
- Intelligence Analysis and Tactical Criminal Analysis: This program produces graduates who are able to scrutinize data to assess risk, anticipate future threats and prevent crime.
- Complex Trauma and Child Sexual Abuse: Students develop a comprehensive understanding of the key theoretical and clinical approaches underlying best practices in this complex trauma field.
- Primary Care Paramedic
- Law Enforcement Studies
- Exterior Fire Fighter Operations
- Security Officer Training, Corrections