Keyano College’s name comes from a Cree word that roughly translates to “sharing.” Located in the regional municipality of Wood Buffalo, the college serves more than 2,100 students in one of the fastest-growing regions in the country. The institution has two main campuses in Fort McMurray and Fort Chipewyan, as well as learning centres in Fort McKay and Gregoire Lake.
In keeping with its location, many of Keyano’s programs train students for careers in the Athabasca oil sands. The Suncor Energy Industrial Campus, home to Keyano’s heavy industrial programs, is in MacKenzie Industrial Park in Fort McMurray and offers state-of-the-art operator simulators. The college also offers programs such as Aboriginal education, business, health and safety, nursing, science and transportation. Students may opt for certificate, diploma, trades or degree programs; many are offered in collaboration with other institutions.
Situated next to northern Alberta’s huge boreal forest, Keyano has ample outdoor sports facilities and emphasizes athletics. Its specialized facilities, such as the Keyano Theatre and Arts Centre and the Syncrude Sport and Wellness Centre, help make the college an important community hub and gathering place in Wood Buffalo. The school’s Clearwater campus in Fort McMurray has furnished, suite-style residence units for single students, as well as townhouse-style residences for students with families.
|Size of school||Tuition (degree)||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Residence offerings|
|Mid-sized (2,000 full-time students to fewer than 10,000 full-time students)||$4,468||$3,822-$6,696||$1,183-$6,755||Yes|
- Business Administration, Esports Specialization: Students gain skills for a career in league administration, coaching, sports marketing and media content management.
- Community-Based Environmental Monitoring Program: Students learn to monitor land, water, air and wildlife year-round. Classes are co-taught by Indigenous Elders, senior land-use experts and scientists.
- Bachelor of Science, Nursing: The program offers clinical training in various learning settings, including community-based and institutional settings.
- Power Engineering, Computer-Managed Learning
- Business Administration Diploma, Management
- Bachelor of Education, Elementary Route