Originally established in 1981 as a community college, Kwantlen Polytechnic University has evolved to offer more than 170 degree, trade, vocational and qualifying programs. Among its more unique programs are a diploma in brewing beer and brewery operations and a horticultural degree focused on urban ecosystems. The school has five campuses: two are in Surrey, including KPU’s largest campus; one is in Richmond, which boasts a metropolitan vibe; and the other two are in Langley and Cloverdale, which are closer to rural areas. As a polytechnic, KPU emphasizes experiential learning opportunities and small class sizes. Co-op opportunities are available in accounting, criminology, environmental protection, entrepreneurial leadership, marketing management, information technology and public relations. Virtual exchanges give students the chance to study in institutions in countries such as Mexico, Colombia and Germany.
In 2019, KPU launched North America’s first-ever four-year degree program with zero textbook costs. Students use KPU-published open textbooks, library materials and other resources to complete courses and programs. Students are now able to enrol in eight different diploma, degree and certificate programs, along with more than 850 courses, that are free of textbook fees.
• Mechatronics and Advanced Manufacturing Technology: Theory meets technical skill in this diploma, giving students experience with the automated technology used in the manufacturing sector. Courses combine learning in engineering, technology and electronics.
• Health Science: Students design and conduct an original research project. The program combines courses in biology, chemistry, physics and math with practical learning in clinical, public and population health.
• Product Design: Identify problems and create solutions by developing ethical, sustainable products. Students create prototypes and gain the business skills to bring them to market.
• Marketing Management
• Human Resources Management
• Degree: $5,698-$13,176
• Diploma: $5,698-$13,176
• Certificate: $5,698-$13,176
• Post-Grad: $8,746-$20,498