“Laurentian is responding to a rapidly changing global landscape while staying true to our core identity,” says president Robert Haché. “We are forming the next generation of global leaders, while responding to the needs of our local communities. As a tricultural and bilingual institution, we are proud to share our unique voice with the world.” Many alumni maintain close ties to the school, offering learning and mentorship opportunities.
A $63-million modernization project has renovated classrooms, labs and residences. The Cliff Fielding Research, Innovation and Engineering Building opened in 2018, housing all engineering labs and a collaborative research hub. The newly opened student centre—a student-led initiative, five years in the making—offers study and recreation spots, pop-up shops and a dental hygienist. Only an eight-minute drive from downtown, the university is surrounded by five lakes, a boreal forest and nature trails. Students can enjoy an outdoor lifestyle with a nearby beach in the warm weather and ice rinks in the winter.
• Earth Sciences: Students have extensive access to field- and lab-based learning and research; proximity to mining and exploration companies and government research centres leads to summer job opportunities.
• Human Kinetics: Students discover the capacities and limitations of human movement, and prepare for careers in areas such as athletic therapy, adventure education, coaching, gerontology and ergonomics.
• Engineering: Students can specialize in chemical, mechanical or mining engineering; capstone development labs offer specialized equipment and integrated supports.
• Artificial Intelligence: Students examine practical applications of AI through expert systems, vision and game playing.
• Introductory Nishnaabemwin: Learn the language of the people on whose land the university sits.
$7,134 (includes compulsory ancillary fees)
Minimum Entering Grades
Arts: 72% · Science: 72% · Commerce: 72% · Engineering: 75%
Undergraduates: Full-time: 6,156 · Part-time: 1,774
Graduates: Full-time: 571 · Part-time: 339
International Students: First-year: 6% ·
Male-Female Ratio: 40 to 60
Residence Spaces: 1,622 (550 reserved for first-year students)
Residence Costs: Double room with meals: $7,172 to $11,684 · Single room with meals: $8,172 to $12,841
Double room without meals: $5,200 to $6,807 · Single room without meals: $6,200 to $7,964 ·
Apartment-style: $6,807 to $8,840