The Michener Institute of Education, which is part of Toronto’s University Health Network (UHN), is the only post-secondary institution in Canada dedicated entirely to the delivery of applied health sciences programs. In 2016, it integrated with UHN to give students access to front-line expertise.
Located in the heart of Toronto’s hospital district, the Michener Institute boasts strong clinical and industry partnerships. The college incorporates cutting-edge technology into its training and offers 20,000 sq. feet of simulation space, which includes laboratories, examination rooms and operating theatres. Small class sizes ensure that students get hands-on interaction in simulated clinical environments.
The Michener Institute offers 10 full-time programs and two part-time programs. Areas of study include all imaging disciplines, including ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging. The school offers courses in chiropody, medical laboratory science, respiratory therapy and medical radiation sciences (nuclear medicine and molecular imaging technology, radiation therapy and radiological technology). The school also offers continuing education programs and courses.
After completing classroom, laboratory and simulation studies, students participate in clinical rotations at hospitals and private clinics.
Size of school
Small (fewer than 2,000 full-time students)
- Genetics Technology: Study the theory of genetic testing along with slide preparation, microscopy, chromosome analysis and computer imaging techniques.
- Diabetes Educator: This online certificate program gives students the skills to work as a diabetes educator, a role that includes helping patients learn self-management.
- Anaesthesia Assistant: Students get technical training with equipment used in operating rooms and learn to care for surgical patients under anaesthesia.
- Cardiovascular Perfusion
- Genetics Technology
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Medical Radiation Sciences