The Michener Institute of Education at UHN is the only post-secondary institution in Canada dedicated entirely to the delivery of applied health sciences programs. In 2016, it integrated with Toronto’s University Health Network (UHN) to give students access to front-line expertise.
Located in the heart of Toronto’s hospital district, the Michener Institute boasts strong clinical and industry partnerships. The college incorporates cutting-edge technology into its training and offers 20,000 sq. feet of simulation space, which includes laboratories, examination rooms and operating theatres. Small class sizes ensure that students get hands-on interaction in simulated clinical environments.
The Michener Institute offers 10 full-time programs and two part-time programs. Areas of study include all imaging disciplines, including ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
The school also offers courses in chiropody, medical laboratory science, respiratory therapy and medical radiation sciences (nuclear medicine and molecular imaging technology, radiation therapy and radiological technology) as well as many continuing education programs and courses.
After completing a combination of classroom, laboratory and simulation studies, students participate in clinical rotations at hospitals and private clinics.
Size of school
Small (fewer than 2,000 full-time students)
- Chiropody: The only English-speaking program of its kind in Canada, this advanced diploma focuses on the assessment and management of foot and lower limb conditions.
- Diagnostic Cytology: Students learn to detect and diagnose precancerous cellular changes, different types of cancer and infections.
- Respiratory Therapy: This advanced diploma program focuses on the physics and dynamics of breathing, pharmacological therapy and critical care. It serves as a step toward a university degree in the subject.
- Cardiovascular Perfusion
- Genetics Technology
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Medical Radiation Sciences