Mohawk college of Applied Arts and Technology is among the top colleges in Canada for applied research, with students working alongside industry partners and faculty on dozens of projects. Mohawk has three areas of focus for this work: electronic and mobile health, energy and additive manufacturing.
The college offers a wide range of degree, diploma, certificate, upgrading, continuing education, and apprenticeship programs in areas like health, community services, business, technology, skilled trades and communication arts. It has two main campuses in Hamilton and one in Stoney Creek. Suite-style student residences are available at the main campus in Hamilton.
The Mohawk–McMaster Institute for Applied Health Sciences is the first facility in the country to house university and college health education programs under one roof. It is home to Mohawk’s applied health programs, such as the collaborative nursing degree and advanced radiation diploma programs. The school recently opened the Joyce Centre for Partnership and Innovation, the second building in Canada to receive a zero-carbon certification for energy efficiency.
Indigenous youth can spend two weeks during the summer at Mohawk through Project Pathfinder, a mix of college education and cultural awareness. Mohawk offers Indigenous students support services including academic advising, peer tutoring and elder guidance.
Size of school
Large (10,000 full-time students or more)
• Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography: The only program of its kind in Canada, this graduate certificate teaches students to use sonography to examine the heart. They gain extensive laboratory and clinical practice experience.
• Brain Disorders Management: Students in this one-year graduate certificate learn to build brain plasticity through both cognitive and physical exercises.
• Quality Engineering Technician: A diploma course with an optional co-op that explores how to conduct non-destructive tests and inspections for defects on parts, equipment and materials.
• Software Development
• Mechanical Engineering Technology
• Practical Nursing
• Health, Wellness and Fitness