Nipissing University is located in North Bay, on a wooded escarpment overlooking the shores of Lake Nipissing. The university is rooted in a century-old teachers’ college; true to those roots, roughly a third of Nipissing’s students are in the Schulich School of Education. Nipissing has a welcoming atmosphere, a student-to-faculty ratio of 26:1, and a host of opportunities for experiential learning. Undergrads have the opportunity to participate in original research to discover their intellectual passions and find their “eureka” moments. “[Students are] receiving education with a lot of quality interaction with professors, and a strong focus on undergraduate research,” says president Michael DeGagné. Nipissing’s campus boasts hiking and snowshoeing trails, cross-country skiing—even a waterfall. The Harris Learning Library features spacious group-study rooms. The athletic facilities have basketball and volleyball courts, a fitness centre and lab space for researchers in the physical health and education program. Residence rooms are all singles, with access to common areas for socializing.
• Criminal Justice: Students receive a foundation in criminal law and justice policies, develop research methods and analyze crime trends and prevention. Graduates in the policing and corrections streams get a combined bachelor of arts degree and a college diploma from Canadore College in police foundations or community and justice services.
• Biology: Nipissing’s northern locale, nestled between two lakes and surrounded by forest, is a plus for environmentally minded students interested in studying biology. The program also features lab-based courses, small interactive study groups, and opportunities for outdoor field experiences and internships.
• Physical and Health Education: This bachelor program provides opportunities for students to work with local sports organizations, as well as participate with professors in research on issues as diverse as improving quality of life for cancer patients, recovery from concussion, and helping kids be more active.
• Introduction to Game Design and Development: Study fundamental issues in computer game design, development, interfaces and programming; topics include storytelling and graphical representation of scenes.
• Sociology of Human Sexual Behaviour: Love, Sex, and Intimacy: Students examine the physical, emotional, sexual and social foundations of close relationships, affection and intimacy.
|Minimum entering grades||Tuition||Average class size||Number of students||Residence spaces||Graduation and retention rates|
|$7,323||1st & 2nd year: 26.2
3rd & 4th year: 25.4
|1,000 (800 reserved for first years)||Graduation: 67.2%