The Northern Alberta Institute of Technology is a hotbed of industry-driven research, with its main campus centrally located in Edmonton. The heart of the main campus—and NAIT’s largest building—is the Centre for Applied Technology, a 555,000-sq.-foot behemoth housing some of the most advanced simulation labs in the country. The 45 labs are used to approximate everything from an ambulance to an operating room to a dental office. For business students, there are also spaces that replicate a stock trading ﬂoor and a bank branch. Opened in 2016, the centre also boasts classrooms, lecture halls, restaurants, 11 student lounges, study spaces and an outdoor quad complete with an event stage.
In the fall of 2018, NAIT will open a 190,000-sq.-foot Productivity and Innovation Centre. The site will serve as an industry-led hub for research and development, housing NAIT’s Centre for Oil Sands Sustainability, its Centre for Sensors and System Integration, and other facilities focused on construction, water technologies, distributed energy and more.
With 40,000 students, NAIT offers more than 120 programs leading to degrees, diplomas and certificates. As a polytechnic, NAIT provides hands-on, skills-based, tech-focused education. Through the Encana Aboriginal Student Centre, Aboriginal students at NAIT have access to a wide network of support services, including elders.
|Size of school||Tuition (degree)||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Residence offerings|
|Large (10,000 full-time students or more)||$1,940-$2,085||$1,883-$2,167||$1,883-$2,167||No|
• Nanotechnology Systems: The only diploma program of its kind in Canada, focused on technical roles in nanotech manufacturing and research.
• Alternative Energy Technology: This program recently doubled in size. It prepares students for careers in renewable energy.
• Construction Management: Launched in 2015, the program trains students for management roles in the construction field.
• Trades to Degrees: Allows trades professionals with three to five years of experience to earn a business degree.
• Business Administration diploma
• Business Administraion degree
• Digital Media and Information Technology
• Technology Management
• Instrumentation Engineering Technology