The Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) is a hotbed of industry-driven research, with its main campus centrally located in Edmonton. The heart of the campus—and NAIT’s largest building—is the Centre for Applied Technology, a 555,000-sq.-foot behemoth housing some of the most advanced simulation labs in the country. The 45 labs are used to approximate everything from an ambulance to an operating room to a dental office. For business students, there are also spaces that replicate a stock trading ﬂoor and a bank branch. Opened in 2016, the centre also boasts classrooms, lecture halls, restaurants, 11 student lounges, study spaces and an outdoor quad complete with an event stage.
In the fall of 2018, NAIT opened the 190,000-sq.-foot Productivity and Innovation Centre. The site serves as an industry-led hub for research and development, housing NAIT’s Centre for Oil Sands Sustainability, its Centre for Sensors and System Integration, and other facilities focused on construction, water technologies, distributed energy and more.
With 40,000 students, NAIT offers more than 120 programs leading to degrees, diplomas and certificates. As a polytechnic, NAIT provides hands-on, skills-based, technology-focused education. Through the Nîsôhkamâtotân Centre, Indigenous students at NAIT have access to a wide network of support services, including Elders.
|Size of school||Tuition (degree)||Tuition (diploma)||Tuition (certificate)||Residence offerings|
|Large (10,000 full-time students or more)||$1,940-$2,085||$1,883-$2,167||$1,883-$2,167||No|
- Business Administration—Entrepreneurship and Innovation: Students learn to pitch products and concepts, create viable business models and undertake strategic business planning.
- Digital Media and IT: A two-year program in which students specialize in one of nine streams, including animation, computer software development and game design.
- Baking and Pastry Arts: This two-year diploma has students creating artisan breads, chocolates and candies, frozen desserts and baking for alternative diets. It also includes general culinary and business training.
- Business Administration (Diploma)
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Digital Media and Information Technology
- Optical Sciences
- Civil Engineering Technology